New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True Cold Air Intake - To Kill all Rumors...

Well after rumors have flared and people have been getting upset with each other and taking things out of complete context of what was truly said, here is a post to clear it all up.....

Currently There is two Cold Air Intake Extensions for the 99-02 Mercury Cougar V6. Those companies are as follows:

Titan by DgnZCoug - $124.99 Shipped (Polished)
GMK by GrandMasterKhan $110 Shipped (Polished)

Cougar Parts Online has been selling aftermarket Cougar Accessories since Nov 2001. Since the day the business went public, the number #1 goal was to offer great customer service, low prices and quick shipping. We are stepping up to do this again.... Here is how...

Cougar Parts Online will be offering a Cold Air Intake Extension for $49.99 Delivered to NECO members only ($59 on our website). For this Price, you will get the following....

Cold Air Extension Pipes - Polished and Mandrel Bent
Hose Techniques 3" Diameter by 2" Long Coupler x 2 - Black
4 Hose Coupler Clamps

For those who do not have a Short Ram Intake, We will be able to offer a combo kit for you which included the following....

Short Ram Intake Pipe - Polished
MAF Adapter - Polished
Cold Air Extension Pipes - Polished and Mandrel Bent
Hose Techniques 3" Diameter by 2" Long Coupler x 2 - Black
Hose Techniques 2.5" to 3" Diameter x 3" Long Reducer - Black
Hose Techniques 2.5" Diameter by 2" Long Coupler - Black
Hose Techniques 16" Long 10mm Hose - Black
K & N Filter Element
8 Hose Coupler Clamps

Price for above item, $139.99 Delivered to NECO members ($149 on our website).

In both kits you will see that Cougar Parts Online has chosen to use ONLY Hose Techniques Couplers and Reducers. WHY you ask? Simple... Quality and Fitment. The couplers cost about $8 each, however the time to install them and the quality is unmatched in the industry. If you are interested in buying the kits without any Hose Couplers... feel free to PM me.

So in short.... Cougar Parts Online has reduced the price of the initial item by as much as 61% over the other sources for Cold Air Intakes. Item price was reduced will the Quality of the item was increased.... Hose Techniques Couplers and Reducers. Provide you with better fitment and quality.... plus they come BLACK which is more universal than BLUE offered by other sources. Finally.... Shipping... Once item is instock (Jan 15th), items will be shipping out 2-3 Day USPS Priority Mail. Orders received by 3pm EST are shipped the same day. Saturday Delivery at no extra Charge.

Items will not be ready until Jan 15th, 2004. Method of shipping on all items is USPS Priority Mail. Insurance is offered but not included in the above prices.

More information coming very soon.... However this post needed to be made to squash all rumors.

Cougar Parts Online will not except any returns on any orders for any GMKs that have previously been shipped to customers. If your item has not shipped and you wish to wait for the Cougar Parts Online CAI, A refund can be issued

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
RE:True Cold Air Intake - To Kill all Rumors...

Kicking myself in the balls. Just bought another intake to make mine work right, and then going to repack it and sell it as used with the 2 parts I needed to swap to make mine work.

Man this came 3 weeks too late for me. O well thats life, but people better jump on this cuz this price is unreal!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
RE: True Cold Air Intake - To Kill all Rumors...

This couldn't have come at a better time actually, seeing as how as of 12/31/03 George has decided to stop selling the Titan CAI. It might be re-released again in May, but with this new Customcougars intake, i dont see the point :tongue:
Mission still accomplished though... I just wanted to see CAI prices drop, and drop they have! :)

ball kick myself too madcat - cause i need a maf adaptor, and James's kit COMES with one *doh!*

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Putting others out of business is not the way to get more Cougar parts to the market. It will however make you more money. I can see where your real motives are.

In fact, this product may be causing you a loss, just to get more business into Cougar Parts Online, as most people would be buying other products along with this CAI.

I feel this type of behavior is unacceptable!

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts

I'm on this as soon as they are available. That price is awesome.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Originally posted by: CougarGT
Putting others out of business is not the way to get more Cougar parts to the market. It will however make you more money. I can see where your real motives are.

In fact, this product may be causing you a loss, just to get more business into Cougar Parts Online, as most people would be buying other products along with this CAI.

This is called capitalism. It is the type of economy we have here in the U.S.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts

Give it to James to put everyone who wants to make parts for the cougar out of business.

I just hope his design is original and not another copy.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Oh man I just told myself I wasn't buying any new stuff for my car til spring. But I really want a CAI.

N

·
0 Posts

Thats business everywhere from coast to coast....Thats why the "mean" make it! Pirating(copying) is the way to go.....may not be fair, but thats the way this world has been for years and years. Reverse engineered products are allways better than the originals. Unless the company that reverse engineers them cuts corners.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My goal is not to place anyone out of business... Competition is good for the market... I simply do not believe in marketing an item up 60% (Figure derived from GMK intake, not Titan)!!! TO ME That is UNACCEPTABLE.....

So let me ask you this.... Are people going to HATE Me because I have come out with a similar product, or are they going to hate others who were raping them on prices of an item thats markup level on a business side should not have been over 30% or even 15% in the case of the Extensions only....

Again... the goal is simple.... QUALITY Products, Cheap Prices, and Timely Shipping. Combine this with Customer Service, an actual business that has a Phone Number and can accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover.... you have a winning combo.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Originally posted by: ProjectCougar
.. I simply do not believe in marketing an item up 60%!!! TO ME That is UNACCEPTABLE......
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Originally posted by: idontno2
Originally posted by: CougarGT

This is called capitalism. It is the type of economy we have here in the U.S.
Capitalism requires competition. There obviously is no competition, as firms in competition are usually price taker's, and not price makers.

If you look at the average market price for Cold Air Intakes today, the GMK and Titan are well under that.

GMK and DGZ, cool luck on your future endeavor's.

Originally posted by: ProjectCougar<My goal is not to place anyone out of business... Competition is good for the market... I simply do not believe in marketing an item up 60%!!! TO ME That is UNACCEPTABLE.....
I find it unacceptable what you charge for shipping prices :)

N

·
0 Posts

Honestly, this really doesnt bother me one bit. I was never out to make money in the first place, and James I dont hate or dislike you that much because of what you are doing. Honestly I hope in the future you get a large company like AEM or Injen to come up with a nice full intake system for us. Possibly even a V2 design from AEM? Now that will impress me more than a 50 dollar intake. But damn you cant beat 50 buks!

Edit: I forgot to mention, through all this stuff that went on I have no hard feelings to Kenny, James, or anyone.

·
Registered
487 Posts

GMK I give you mad props for coming up with this idea, and designing it, i dont feel enough credit can be given to someone who must've put that much time and effort into a project.. There should always be competition I guess......you just cant beat a cai extension for 50 bucks......:shrug:

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts

well if AEM produced a true CAI for the cougar it WILL be well over 250 bucks. A v2 would probably graze $300.

Jimmy here has the ability to undercut and out sell anyone. Needless to say his pockets are deep but apparently not Deep enough. He can sell hundreds of intakes for $4 profit. I can't.

Both the Titan and the GMK where priced reasonably. Less than a CAI for other cars for sure! but Jimmy's price is ridiculously low. All I can say is I hope his intakes are NOT a copy and Fit better than his WeaponR headers did. *ahem*

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

yeah, i mean George and I even went over our costs 'for fun' and its crazy, cause George couldn't even BUY the stuff for less than $50... THEN he would have to buy the couplers & shipping would bring the price up even more. even making ZERO profit, there was no way we could keep it under 50.... not at all. heh!

How James did it for $50 is a mystery to me... but i am curious.
and i would also like to see pictures :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Originally posted by: ND4SPD
yeah, i mean George and I even went over our costs 'for fun' and its crazy, cause George couldn't even BUY the stuff for less than $50... THEN he would have to buy the couplers & shipping would bring the price up even more. even making ZERO profit, we couldn't find a way to have the titan go for less than 65 bucks... heh!

How James did it for $50 is a mystery to me... but i am curious.
and i would also like to see pictures :)

Which come's back to my point that this is a loss leader product.

Take a loss, to bring new customers into the store. The profits will be made on other products and services.
Retailers have been doing this for years, the only problem is small companies can not afford to do this.

I see this in the music industry all the time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts