New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just got my trubenz flowmaster duel exit . took it to the local shop and the mechanic said if you just bolt it on it could have leaks
he said he coulld weld most of it for a little more$ how many people have theirs bolted on? welded?

·
Registered
92 Posts
i had mine just bolted on. The guy i had put mine on had the same worries because there was no aftermarket upgraded gasket included and that there may be leakage with just using the stock gasket. But he put a whole bunch of silicone sealer around the outside to seal it up and i haven't had a problem. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Welding is a tighter seal. By clamping you can make it so you dont have leaks, and if there is a problem with a section (like a muffler rotting out), it would be easier and cheaper for the shop to unbolt it rather than torch it out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Clamping you also have to watch the joints to make sure the don't work loose. I have mine clamped now, but i try to check it every so often.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
yea the stainless system is so hard the clamps dont compress the tubing too well. The fit in front of the rear wheel likes to come apart every once in a while... i finally welded just that part together.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Get stainless steel band clamps if you do not want to weld the exhaust. The U-bolts that came with the exhaust kept coming loose every so often. I picked up band clamps from Summit, torqued them down to 69ft/lbs and used a generous amount of loctite. I haven't had any problems since.

-Nick

G

·
I have this very problem, but unfortunately i cannot weld mine on, i have the test pipe, and want to be able to swap with high flow cat, but i have not used any gaskets and it leaks nasty, what do you recommend for gaskets, i heard "metal doughnuts" work, is this correct?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
? did you lose the original flange gasket off the stock cat? ive had my system apart 3 times up there and ive reused the same gasket, it doesnt leak at all. It's just a piece of sheetmetal... shaped like the flange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts