New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember this being discussed a long, LONG time ago, but I searched and can't come up with what I was looking for.

My basic question is - at what speed will the Cougar "run out of gear"? Meaning, with the right motor to overcome drag limitations, how fast can the car go before I'm at 7k on the tach? The number 178 MPH really sticks out in my head, but for some reason I think that was on an ATX, and the number for the MTX-75 was different.

This is a purely speculative question - I have no intention of even trying to get anywhere near whatever the top speed is. I've had the car up over 130 a couple of times, and lemme tell ya . . . I don't need any more than that on an open road. In fact, i don't even need that, or anything close to it.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Assuming a stock tire size of 215/50 R16 (24.46") and a rev limit of 6,750 RPMs and the stock 5th gear ratio of 0.77:1 = 157.18 MPH

According to this calculator.

Edit: Correct tire size and ultimately the top end MPH.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Trevor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.