New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2.5 1999 cougar and it's a automatic but I wanna switch to a manual . How hard would it be to swap and make a placement for the clutch?

·
Administrator
24,394 Posts
Check the how-to section; there is a really thorough write-up in the sticky thread with all the links in it.

It is A VERY INVOLVED PROCESS. Above the transaxle and pedal box, you also have to swap out the entire subframe, both axles, and many many other parts.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Best bet is to find a messed up manual car and just swap everything over then haul off whats left

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm that case, would it be better just to build my trans and stick to auto? Maybe some beefy driveline parts? I just want to build it the ground up

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Most people here are going to tell you the auto is garbage in these things. Only reason I would willingly put one in a cougar is so my wife can drive a cougar too.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
new valve body, transgo shift kit, find an aftermarket Forward/direct drum, give it an external filter and a good external cooler (maybe stick a fan on it, too) and a trans temp gauge. Might want to have a Tech check the chain for slack. Otherwise, not much to do. the gearing is less aggressive than the MTX, (3.82 vs 4.06 FD, the individual gear ratios are fatter too), so that'll get you better MPG. that's about it. we don't have aftermarket diffs for the ATX, no aftermarket torque converter, nothing. the valve body, filter, cooler, and forward/direct drum are known weak points in these, with deficiencies from the factory.

I've been in your position before, and I can't say I was happy with the answer everyone gave me, but after having been through it I have to agree with forum wisdom. the road to performance modifications on this car starts with an MTX; if not, you're severely hampered in your efforts. Sorry mate.

·
Administrator
24,394 Posts
Automatic TransaXle. It's rather a proprietary term. The manual transaxle is called the MTX-75, so it's always been referred to as an "MTX" around here - so that kind of spilled over to calling the automatic an "ATX".

And they usually choke on their own vomit at about 135,000 miles, so if yours is that age or older, you're experiencing a miracle.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Depends on what you consider hard and how far down the rabbit hole you go of "As long as I'm in there I might as well..."
Assume your'e going to drop the entire front end off the car and put it back together again.
There actually is a great donor for a project like this for sale in the for sale section right now.
Its probably more expensive than you would hope for but its a real treasure trove of great parts and you would end up with a very nice car when your done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts