New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my 99 ATX has 57700 miles on it, 2 days ago, i put it in reverse and it didnt move, i put more pressure on the gas, rpms went up to 2, and then it jerked back. I took it to the dealership, they cant find out whats exactly wrong with it, but i need a new transmission. Im taking it today to the shop, my question is, do i get it rebuilt, or get a whole new one? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
really depends on how much you want to spend and how good your dealership is. I had mine rebuilt and it was like brand new,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with only 65,000 miles on it :)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Are you having the same problems in forward as well?? Like a hesitation in the gear engaging?? If so.....might be what happened to me, and i'd be more then happy to get you a copy of the work done on mine from a while back. Just lemme know. I went to 2 dealerships and a mechanic and they couldnt diagnose it right without tearing it apart.

Also...get a new one or a hell of a guarentee on work. I got mine rebuilt and it's currently gettin fixed for the 3rd time in 14 months :cry:

·
Registered
256 Posts
hey bev...i had the EXACT same problem as u did. it revs really high and doesnt go back automatically right?
i wouldnt drive on it cuz itll just get worse and itll spread to the forward gears...took 2 months for me to wreck my forward gears also. in the end jsut get it rebuilt before u wreck a whole lotta stuff in the tranny. my tranny took 1 week to rebuild cuz we ordered stuff from level10 but im very happy with the new tranny and torque converter well worth the money cuz im stuck payin the car off for another 3 yrs lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, No I didnt have any problems in the forward gears at all, but Im sure it would have happened sooner or later. I felt it go into gear in reverse, but then i would step on the gas, and it would rev higher than normal, and then jerk back really hard... I took it to the shop, and they are rebuilding it. I had to take it to a shop about 40 min from me, the shops around here cant work on little mazda transmissions. Thats another question i have, do all cougars have mazda transmissions? anyway, they have all the parts ordered, and I should have it back tonight. Teflonworm I would like to see a copy of the problems with yours, so i can compare it to mine when i get it back. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts