New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I don't actually own a Cougar, but my sis does. Her car is a 1999 Cougar V6 with the 5 speed tranny.

We are having a few little problems with her car. First off, the most major one. Her transmission is popping out of 1st gear when she tries to take off from a stop. Its been getting worse as each day passes. I am no n00b when it comes to cars. I'm actually building a high power '82 RX-7, but I've never come across this problem before and don't know what could cause this. I've done a search on the forums, but my searching skills suck and I couldn't find anything at all on the subject.

Second problem is the sunroof. It doesn't open properly. You can hold the button then after 6 or 7 seconds, the roof finally pops up about an inch or so. Whats the cause of this?

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh ya, one more question. The A/C in the car doesn't work. I've determined so far that its because the hub clutch on the compressor isn't engaging, and also the cooling fan doesn't activate when you turn the A/C on. I think this is an electrical problem. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Not sure on the tranny slip or the AC, but the sun roof is basicly one of the top 3 major problems with the cougar, Plastic Tracks.... ya that was a good idea... most likely they are broken, but the motor can go bad also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sunroof motor is obviously good cause you can hear it running. Problem is, the sunroof doesn't open far enough to check anything out. Is there any way to get the sunroof out?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Trying to remember what you have to do, never done it myself but some one told me how....

I know you start by removing that flexible trim inside the cabin (it just pulls off easily), then i think you need the right size TORX driver... im sure im forgetting something though.

Didnt see any repair how to's but ... Sunroof page

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Originally posted by: Moraki
Trying to remember what you have to do, never done it myself but some one told me how....

I know you start by removing that flexible trim inside the cabin (it just pulls off easily), then i think you need the right size TORX driver... im sure im forgetting something though.

Didnt see any repair how to's but ... Sunroof page
Wow, I can't believe someone create a site for the cougar sun roof issue....wait I take that back yes I can. Yeah, I'm not really sure about your tranny or your ac issue but I can tell you that more then likely the tracks on the sunroof are busted. It has happened on both my 99s. What normally happens when you open the cougar sunroof is that it will first tilt upward and then slide back. But what is probably happening in your case is that since the tracks are busted the part that lifts the roof is not in the right location so the time it normally takes to initially lift the roof it just sounds like the motor is running but doing nothing. Then once the motor attempts to slide the roof back it is kind of cause the roof to pop up but no properly because its binding the the tracks because it was not lifted up like it should first. They are actually pretty easy to replace, it takes about 2 hours, but its really not hard if you use the how-to on teamneco.com. Good luck trying to find one though, they are not cheap. Whatever you do, don't pay a dealership to do it they will rape you.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Did ya check the list? 746 people have reported to that one site !! imagine how many didn't even know about the site. whats the production numbers for 99 and 2000? I would imagine that its a sizable percentage now.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Thanks for the link Moraki. I will add that to the FAQ. Great information there!

82rx7man, check the shift cables for proper engagement. The shift cable go to the transaxle which you should be able to see by looking underneath the intake pipe. Also what is the milage on her Cougar?

If the A/C compressor isn't engaging then quite possibly the signal isn't being sent to turn on the fans. I'd start on the A/C compressor first as you have determined to be the main culprit and go from there.

Hopefully someone else woth more Transaxle experience will be able to help you on this. It's a start though. Good luck!

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
"Oh ya, one more question. The A/C in the car doesn't work. I've determined so far that its because the hub clutch on the compressor isn't engaging, and also the cooling fan doesn't activate when you turn the A/C on. I think this is an electrical problem. What do you guys think? "

IF your line pressure is low neither of these will come one, I would check and make sure the system doesn't have a leak and the re-charge it.

And Rikenbomb
is probably right about the shift cable engagement, I know the ends on the later models had a crappy rubber the dries out and falls apart. They are pretty cheap to buy but a little aggravating to remove the old ones from the cable. If this is your problem you will know just by looking at it. You can get a good look by jacking up the drivers side of the car and removing the wheel look toward the back side of the trans and the up a little bit there will be 1 white end and 1 black end.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
If it is not the shift linkage (ensure good grommets, no worn or missing parts), then it's the blocker rings inside the transaxle. Every time it pops out of gear, the blocker rings couldn't stop the synchros from disengaging. New or rebuilt trans, unfortunately... :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I'll have a look at a few of these things sometime soon. The car has about 140000 KM on it, thats about 85000 miles. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I took a look at the shift linkage today. Doesn't look promising. The ends on the cables look like new. I tried to wiggle them around a little, but no movement. They seem solid. It also doesn't feel like there is any play in the shifter either. I'm sure if there is a worn bushing or grommet you would feel some sort of excess play in the shifter. Looks like its an internal problem.

Oh, ya. I forgot to mention that it only pops out of gear periodically, and not too often, but often enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
you could try and inspect the under hood shift linkages... you cant see them well and i wouldnt suggest trying to open them, they like to break. They are near the fire wall on the driver side... the intake kinda blocks your view of them from the top. You can kinda see them from the bottom but you would have to jack up the car. But anyway sounds internal...

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
sounds somewhat like the problem my parents had with their retarded minivan (89 plymouth colt vista wagon made by mitsubishi). it would pop out of gear as you were driving down the road, have to put the clutch in and put it back into gear. did it quite randomly. after about the 3rd time they had the transmission fixed, the guy said "I'm not charging you, but don't bring it back." good luck...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
yeap trannys done been blown. ive noticed (no offense) that usually manual cars with chicks driving it seem to kill the syncros somehow. all the cars ive ever seen having that tranny issue was driven by a chick. its funny. maybe they jam it into gear whereas others tend to wait and let the syncros do the work. but yeah u prolly have a good bit of metal in the tranny. pull the bottom drain plug and check. its under the bottom o2 sensor connector. if u do then its pretty much a done deal. 700 a pop i think. if it was mine id go with a terry haines. ive heard hes the mtx-75 shizz nit. oh and go to your local autozone or advanced and get a a/c kit. the guage and a bottle of r134a, and a filler tube. if u get the whole kit it has instructions. good luck....

·
Registered
324 Posts
survey says..... 82rx7man you are the winner of the price is.... ummm a blown 1st gear syncro and Dan G you have won the lovely door prize. I definately have o agree with dan g, i had an 85 firebird do the same thing, usually (and i am saying thisas it pertains to the t-5 in my f-body) 1st, 3rd and 5th are all on the same syncro, so it's not so much that girls are causing the problem, however slamming gears, peeling out, doing those oh so wonderful tray slides all have an effect on the syncros and how much holding power they can handle. i would check the clutch as well, it's not so much realated to the problem, but the tranny jumping out of gear puts strain on the pressure plate and clutch disc. Good luck and I hope the sarcasm lightened your mood.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.