New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 Cougar with a V6 and a MTX. I recently changed the transmission fluid and found out that it uses ATX fluid. I simply find this baffling. I went to a FORD repair shop and ask them the same question, but they agree with the owners manual. Use ATX fluid for a MTX!

I would like to get some insight on what other Cougar owners are using for MTX fluid?

When I use to own an Eclipse with a MTX, the car used thick gear oil, 90 weight...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Firstly, your mechanics were CORRECT...Ford uses ATX fluid in our MTXs!

I have an option for those of you who have yet to change your fluid (should be done at about 35,000 or so for optimum performance according to MY mechanic).

I have not had the time do have it done yet, but a mechanic (and good friend) at my dealership (I work at a Honda dealership...don't ask) highly recommended that I upgrade to a synthetic fluid made by B&G...It is expensive...I was able to buy it directly from our B&G distributor at COST and it still cost me about $10 per quart (our car uses 2.5 quarts in the tranny). My mechanic drives a Ford as well and uses it in HIS tranny, and he said that it REALLY improved shifting performance, and since it is synthetic it needs to be replaced MUCH less frequently than the ATX fluid that comes in our MTX transmissions!
I'll post when he changes my fluid (probably this week) and let you know the results!
~CIII

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, cwtIII for your input.
I really find it weird to use ATX fluid in a MTX.

I have flushed my MTX with Valvoline ATX fluid, but will use synthetic fluid the next time. He is still shifting nicely, just thought is was a bit odd, to use ATX fluid in a MTX...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts