New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been hunting around on the forums, and every thread I can find about trans fluid is for the V6 MTX, but I have the 2.0 with the manual in my 1999 Cougar. Does everyone still suggest Royal Purple Syncromax? The manual says ATF+ with 2% friction modifier. Any thoughts on this? It's getting tougher to put into 1st Gear, and actually tends to grind a bit going into 2nd when it's cold so I would guess it's more of a fluid issue.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Same transmission, same oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same transmission, same oil.
Thanks. I guess I thought it was a different trans than the V6 version. And now I know! :) I think I am going to try Valvoline Syncromax just mostly because it's a third of the price and I'll spend more on 3 qts of RP then half of what I bought the car for!

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
The outside case and bellhousing are different, to fit the Zetec block, but inside all the components are the same (or at least interchangeable).

A popular mod for big-boost build V6's is to swap the final drive gear from the Zetec into the Duratec transmission to get a little more top-end speed, as the Duratecs are geared a little lower to better suit the peaky powerband of the V6. Once you add the boost, things aren't so peaky anymore, LOL.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I learn something new about this car everyday. Now if I could just get the blend door to close all the way without taking that all apart, I would be happy! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts