New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, here's the deal. I have 99 ATX Coug with 80k on it. The other day I go to accelerate past a guy and the car would not shift into the next gear and the car consequently kept jerking back and forth till I eased off the gas. So today I take it out and I notice the problem everytime I attempt to accelerate hard from 1st gear into 2nd. The rev's peak a about 4000 rpm and the car won't click into the next gear. What could possibly be the problem?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same problem. but still havent found out what is wrong. I took mine to my local ford dealership and even went with one of the pr_cks to show them what I meant and they said it was normal ( normal as in they could hit me for more money when things really screw up). So I just said poop on it and forgot about it till last week when I was passing someone on the way to visit my girlfriend and it happened again. I wouldnt mind knowing why it happens

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this is definately not normal... and you look like an absolute moron when your on the road and this happens. My Ford guys are usually pretty fair, I'll have to take it in for sure.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Does the problem seem to get worse as the level of gas decreases? I had symptoms very similar to yours when my fuel pump failed the second time. The revs would climb and hold steady without the trans upshifting. As the pump degraded, the rpm this occurred at decreased and when it got down to 4-5k rpm it was accompanied by bucking and miss-firing. What it came down to on my car was that the pump could not deliver enough fuel to allow the engine to rev all the way to the shift point at full throttle. Letting off the gas lowered the shift point and the allowed the trans to shift to 2nd.

If you haven't replaced your fuel filter recently, I'd try that first. If that's not the problem, then look toward the fuel pump.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya that sounds bang on. For the first time in ages I've let my gas drop below a 1/4 tank and that seems to have coincided with my problems. But the worst part is I've had my fuel filter and pump changed within the past 6 months. Thanx Sonza, at least I have something to work with now.

Cheers!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup that's definately the problem, just filled up the tank... problem gone!! Dumb ass fuel pumps! Thanx for the info, thank god it's not a tranny problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I actually had the same prob with it not shiftin and jerking especially when i went to pass or came off the highway and back to normal speeds after driving a while and it got worse and the tranny light came on and it was the torque converter completely shot and had to replace the tranny 3 months ago luckily i got the extended warranty and didnt have to pay for it........but if i were you even though u filled it up with gas and it stopped doesnt mean it is gone cuz mine stopped doing it for a while and eventually had to replace it...i would still have it looked at if not by a garage right off take it to autozone which is what i did and have them see if the tranny is throwing a code and if it is have them print it and take it with you or they might try to tell you nothin is wrong like they did to me...and then you'll have proof..but anyways good luck

Jess

1 - 7 of 7 Posts