New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrighty guys im hopin someone out there can help me.. i got a 2001 cougar automatic 2.5 V6... just starting today it slips out of first gear and into neutral from a stop and minor gear slippage while driving.. fluid is VERY LOW. tried to fill and it wouldn't take it.. finally got some mercon in there a lil over a quart and it drove fine.. shortly after i have no fluid.. obviously a bad leak just wonderin if anyone out there can shed a lil light on me before i head down under to try and find the leak.

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
put a big piece of card board under your car (under engine) and when it drips on the carboard it will give you a good idea where to look, it's easier that way so you can look in the engine and see where its driping

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK. I am in need of a little help. I have purchased a 2001 Cougar and I am in love with the thing. The only problem I had was with the air and condenser (which was replaced). But now I'm having some acceleration problems. When I try to accelerate smoothly it lags a little...not at first but in like second or third. Almost like a turbo..lol. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
851 Posts
you might want to do a search on irc it is the system that opens your secondiars. so when you do the search compair what you are going through with othere peoples experiance with a irc going bad or just broken.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
OK. I am in need of a little help. I have purchased a 2001 Cougar and I am in love with the thing. The only problem I had was with the air and condenser (which was replaced). But now I'm having some acceleration problems. When I try to accelerate smoothly it lags a little...not at first but in like second or third. Almost like a turbo..lol. Any suggestions?
Did you just get the car, or did th eproblem just start suddenly, out of nowhere?

The powerband of this engine has what I call a "burp" at around 3500 RPMs; it pulls real hard for a second, then there's a little breath, then it starts pulling again. It's a result of a dual-plane intake manifold. It allows you to have good low-end power. and good high-end power. The breathing characteristics are different for each profile, so the intake manifold has to make a shift to accommodate.

Do a quick search for "secondaries" and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
325 Posts
alrighty guys im hopin someone out there can help me.. i got a 2001 cougar automatic 2.5 V6... just starting today it slips out of first gear and into neutral from a stop and minor gear slippage while driving.. fluid is VERY LOW. tried to fill and it wouldn't take it.. finally got some mercon in there a lil over a quart and it drove fine.. shortly after i have no fluid.. obviously a bad leak just wonderin if anyone out there can shed a lil light on me before i head down under to try and find the leak.
I have a 2001 Mercury Cougar 2.5L V6 too that had the same problem... I had a really bad leak... According to the techs my transaxle pump malfunctioned causing major leakage... It is costing me $1200 dollars to repair...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.