New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, This just started.... I can drive my car for awhile and it will be fine... Then all of a sudden it just doesnt want to shift into 2nd... I have an ATX by the way. It has all power and everything just doesnt want to shift for some reason. Well, I can stop, turn off the car and let it set for like 5minutes. Start up the car and go again just fine. After about 30min or so it will do the same thing again. It only does this in traffic. No other time. Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
How many miles do you have? Have you ever changed your tranny fluid? Have you checked your tranny fluid level?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 110,000 miles on my car.. It hasnt been too long since everything was changed out.. and all fluid levels are fine.. I had those checked the night it all started. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Check 'em again- Engine running, in park, on a level surface, hot. Make sure the fluid is bright red... Not burnt or brown. No shifting is either a low fluid level or you've dropped some clutch packs... Let's hope it's the former!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
shouldn't the car be in neutral when checking the tranny fluid?

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Could be something as simple as the MLP (Range Sensor).

It could also be a number of other things 1-2 shift piston getting stuck in the valve body, shift solenoid not engaging on your solenoid block, sticking servo piston or even the ECU. I doubt seriously it is the ECU though.

I would at least do a drain and fill to see if it gets any better. If not, you will be stuck having to take it to a shop. They will have to do line pressure checks off the valve body and may even have to do dry air test, which would require removing the valve body cover.

I take it your O/D light is not flashing.

Let us know.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I doubt it's the ECU... has the "Circle of Death" even illuminated? It's the one in the center of the left screen with the exclaimation in it? I know that once it lights up, there is a serious problem detected with the transmission (I believe this is what was mentioned above as an O/D light -- but in our case, the O/D doesn't flash when there is an issue, the Circle does)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the O/D nor the ! is not flashing.. Even tho they have before but they stopped on their own.. LoL dont ask... :confused: This problem doesnt occur everytime.. The first time in a few months was last weekend. It took it awhile of sitting in traffic to start also. I let it sit for about 5minutes and it was fine again for about 20min.. Then once again it started. I decided to leave where i was and go another way with less traffic. Never had another problem out of it. Kinda wierd. I have had all the fluids checked a good 4 times since last weekend and everything looks fine. Also..... it does shift hard when it shifts from second back to first... It does that just about everytime tho... AND.. IF I have to make a sudden stop for some reason (it has to be really sudden) and start to go again it will hesitate badly then jump and go..... :banghead:

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
My car does both the ! and the OD flash,,, and guess what. I have to get a new tranny or get it rebuilt. So if it has done it before u might want to take it to a mechanic.. Mine started the same way, also if u dont get it checked out more problems will occur, trust me i know

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, I would take it to a tranny shop. They will have to run the car while scanning it, but I believe that you problems are linked to a worn vavle body. There is really no way for us to pinpoint exactly what it causeing these symptoms, but it sure does sound like sticking valve's to me.

Take it in as soon as you can. The sooner the better. The longer you have to wait, the more repairs that will be needed.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!!!! Well, the car is currently for sale so I might just give in and go trade it next week. Otherwise I will take it to the Trany shop.. Thanks bunches

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine ran that way for a good 50,000 miles or so. Just a few days ago it stopped wanting to shift completely. I have to let off the gas every time I need the car to shift. Because of the problem the car is running 1000rpms higher than usual, and extremely high before it will shift.

I took it to the Ford Garage, they said I needed a new transmission (a $3500 repair). Then called back 10minutes later and said they remembered to check the servo. Aparently there is a peice inside that is broken. They quoted $150 for the repair and said it should fix the problems with the transmission.

I also had the moose sound a lot of people on here have referred to and have seen that could be a servo also.

Hopefully replacing the part fixes both problems!

·
Registered
572 Posts
So, did the servo repair fix it?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
bump on the servo

·
Registered
16 Posts
No the servo did not fix it. Transmission went out. It apparently started jerking so hard the the motor mount removed a good chunk of the tranny. But hey, at least the mount held! :biggrin:

Now I have a new transmission. Just hit 196,000 miles today and still get 30miles per gallon. What's sad is they can barely beat that mpg 10 years after my car was built. Why trade in for something that can do no better?

Car's paid off, and what it costs me per month in repairs comes no where near what it would cost for a car payment.

·
8,550 Posts
No the servo did not fix it. Transmission went out. It apparently started jerking so hard the the motor mount removed a good chunk of the tranny. But hey, at least the mount held! :biggrin:
I've seen the results of that once in person, and I've heard about it happening a couple more times. It seems like the case of the ATX just isn't that strong and the mount can tear it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts