New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to get my trans. oil and filter replaced in a 99 Cougar with 144000 + miles. I understand there may be a problem with new fluid loosening up varnish and old deposits and messing the tranny up but would it really hurt the trans that much. Again I understand there is no gurantee but would just like some input.

Thanx

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You do have a problem.. but here is some info:

There has been a recent trend toward use of fluid evacuation systems in the automatic transmission service industry in lieu of traditional transmission service methods. These systems are used to pump the old fluid out of the transmission and to refill with fresh fluid. This avoids dropping the pan and draining the unit which can be time consuming and messy. The use of this method to replace the transmission fluid is a clean, efficient, and safe way to remove hot oil from a transmission. The problem, however, is that often times it is mistakenly thought that this represents complete transmission service and that removal, and cleaning of the pan and inspection and servicing of the filter are unnecessary.

Today's transmissions are far more susceptible to malfunctions caused by fine dirt contamination. Most of the transmission failures occur after an evacuation service have occurred primarily on relatively high mileage transmissions that have not been serviced in some time. One reason for this is that the sludge and dirt buildup within the transmission will not completely be removed during the service. When the new fluid (which has detergent properties) is placed in the transmission, over days and weeks, the internal components begin to wash the insides of the transmission. This sludge does finally work loose and settles in the transmission working parts, clogging it up even further than it may have been before service.

Even if the fluid evacuation method is desired to remove the used transmission fluid, the pan should be removed also, and an inspection should be made of the pan contents, fluid, and filter to determine the condition of the transmission. Aluminum filings in the pan or iron filings on the pan magnet are signs of internal wear and may give light to potential problems in the transmission.

Transmission service is performed for preventative maintenance. Evaluating the overall condition of the transmission by removing the pan should be part of this preventative maintenance also.

And, since I'm an AMSOIL independent dealer, many of my Cougar folks have been happy with AMSOIL Transmission Fluid (ATF) :biggrin:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was told that if it's never been changed to leave it alone, but if it's been changed regularly then it's ok to have it serviced. I guess that makes sense given the info above, but what if you bought a used Coug and have no idea if it's been serviced???

·
Registered
248 Posts
In my case, I have an extended warranty from Ford. I think I'll get the flush and if it screws up my tranny I'll take it in under warranty... :naughty:

Hey! Why should I feel guility about sticking it to the dealer, they've never hesitated to screw us. Right?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Tranny flushes are recommended...but not needed. However, you NEED to replace your screen and fluid on a regular (30k mile) basis. If you do not properly service your tranny, you WILL be buying a new one.

Being in my line of work, I get to see a LOT of CD4E tranny's take a dump due to lack of proper maint. As a matter of fact, just today I ordered a new unit for an Escape.....at the lovely price of $1890...plus the 12 hours of labor (for a total of over $3200). To be paid my customer, because vehicle was out of 3/36, and abused. :)

Save yourself a $50 fluid/screen change today.....spend $3k+ tomorrow. Keep 'em coming though, I LOVE to make money.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by: Fett
Tranny flushes are recommended...but not needed. However, you NEED to replace your screen and fluid on a regular (30k mile) basis. If you do not properly service your tranny, you WILL be buying a new one.

Being in my line of work, I get to see a LOT of CD4E tranny's take a dump due to lack of proper maint. As a matter of fact, just today I ordered a new unit for an Escape.....at the lovely price of $1890...plus the 12 hours of labor (for a total of over $3200). To be paid my customer, because vehicle was out of 3/36, and abused. :)

Save yourself a $50 fluid/screen change today.....spend $3k+ tomorrow. Keep 'em coming though, I LOVE to make money.
I know that most cars have a filter or screen in there automatic, but it was my understanding the screen in the Cougar was not a serviceable item unless the tranny was pulled??

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd say it's probably not a good idea to get it done now. Everytime I've either done a transmission service or known someone that had one done in a situation like this, it ends up bad. Normally it doesn't happen right away but you start to get slipping and crap like that. You won't necessarily get leaking as long as you put on a new gasket and torque the bolts down correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts