New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to trailer my car this year. Anyone have a trailer hookup that I could rent? :biggrin: Just putting out feelers as I don't want to put all the mileage/wear and tear on the Coguar if I am going to sell it in the fall. I'll probably just end up driving in the end but if I can work something out then it would be much better.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If I get it done in time I will be towing a trailer with my cougar :biggrin:

honestly though, a one time trip with 2500 miles won't do you any harm. in the end, think if you were looking to by a used car and you thought it had 56,800 miles and you looked closer and it had 59,300 miles, would it make a difference? I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I could always borrow Butch's truck that he brings his S-10 in for autocrossing....but I'm afraid the Cougar wouldn't have the ground clearance to make it up the ramps.

Chuck

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chuck, That is a good distance to travel. Would you feel safe that Butch's truck would make it? It would be the perfect choice, we could fit our cars into it and it's a good place to hang out in! We could figure a way to get our cars into it I'm sure. Talk to Butch and see if he would be interested and we can come up with an offer to rent it for the week.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
:rofl:

just thinking about what itd be like to see a closed trailer pull up to a car show, open up, and offload 2 daily drivers

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by: DNNYBOY33
Chuck, That is a good distance to travel. Would you feel safe that Butch's truck would make it? It would be the perfect choice, we could fit our cars into it and it's a good place to hang out in! We could figure a way to get our cars into it I'm sure. Talk to Butch and see if he would be interested and we can come up with an offer to rent it for the week.
Dan,

I don't know if I'd feel safe driving across town in Butch's truck -- I know he's gone to hill climbs in PA with it before, but it's old & most of his "repairs" seem to be more of the Mickey Mouse or McGyver solutions...not neccessarily a reliable repair. BTW - I think we'd be 3-4 feet short of both fitting in it.

Chuck

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hey chuck - I asked for you this weekend at Eddie Baurer, but you were off for the day! =( Do you drive your coug to work? Where do you park? What hours are you working this week/weekend?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by: Fly-Fast
Hey chuck - I asked for you this weekend at Eddie Baurer, but you were off for the day! =( Do you drive your coug to work? Where do you park? What hours are you working this week/weekend?
Yes, I drive the Coug to work - usually park in the garage between Macy's & Filene's...but this time of year it's almost imposible to get a space - they've started doing employee parking across the street at what used to be the Wonderbread factory - so if nothing closer is available I'm there. I'm there Thurs, Fri, Sat 3 - 11:30 pm Sun 10-6.

Chuck

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey chuck, good to hear your car is better. I hear ya on the trailer. I would like to find a way to trailer the car there. I really want something reliable because I don't have the patience you showed last year if something went wrong... I may end up putting the miles on the Cougar though. Just thought I would put the word out.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'm wondering if I'll end up just renting a uhaul truck and car trailer.
I haven't really started looking at what I have for trailer options yet, but I really would rather trailer the car to 'fest.
I don't think it's that far-fetched either. Especially if you figure people like James are gonna be there, and I think even some of the norcal folks are planning on trailering.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I wonder if it would be cost effective to hire a semi trailor to haul like 8 cars, drive over one way in a rental, and drive the cougars back home?

if that sounds interesting im capable of getting a price

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Originally posted by: Neil
I wonder if it would be cost effective to hire a semi trailor to haul like 8 cars, drive over one way in a rental, and drive the cougars back home?

if that sounds interesting im capable of getting a price
haha! i wouldn't trust putting my car on one of those. i don't even trust it getting towed...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
the image of a caravan of cougars being towed...
MAss/Conn the only chapter to show up entirely towed there LOL

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is funny. I had a blast driving with a caravan of Cougars last year but the traffic in NY and NJ was a complete buzz kill. Who from Mass/Conn is going to Cougarfest anyways? If we have a good group and we can split the drive there into 2 days then I might just break down and drive the Cougar afterall. We should do the scavenger hunt on the way there!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got plenty of vacation time, so I wouldn't mind making it a 2-day drive out -- I may be staying out there afterwards to visit some friends in Ohio as well.

Chuck

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, there is 2 people... I'm still interested. We will have to plot a course around NY this year!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I can't see making it two days. Its an 11-12 hour drive. The only way I could do it in two days is if I were to leave thursday and get there friday afternoon. I know I can't take that much time off of work. I guess I am a bit different, I do 20 hour drives in one shot. Either way I have a feeling I am on my own on the way home. I will be leaving late saturday night to come home.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah a 11-12 hour drive is ok, but they always turn into a 13-15 hour ordeal. I would rather leave on a tuesday and split the drive into a 2 day event. This would allow us to take our time, not arrive late at night and to spend a night out on the town in a state I haven't been to yet.

The ride home would be a different story. The funs over. I'm driving until I hit my driveway!

·
Administrator
11,562 Posts
Nah, we had 6 or 7 for the 2k1 Fest and used walkie talkies.

In the beginning it was confusing for a bit, with the lane changes & passing. But I'd say after a couple hours we didn't need the walkie talkies anymore when setting up a pass. One car would make the lane change, another would then change & slow down any cars behind them. And then the rest of the crew would snake in. It was seriously a beautiful site watching from the rear as we would snake quickly through traffic using that method.

And God forbid you try to break up the caravan. We had one lady who kept cutting in on us & not letting us pass. We eventually boxed her in, revving engines and not letting her go anywhere for a few miles. Just to let her know she's not in control of anything :)

Then there's the driving in formation on the 4 lane parts of the highway...we got some fun out of 16hrs of driving.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts