New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to fit traction contol. As far as I can see, I would need the throttle actuator, the dash switch and the extra valves on the ABS/TCS unit. Has anyone attempted this & do I need anything else?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My question is why would you want to do this? I sell cars for a living at a Suzuki dealership, and I hate to say it, but even 4x4 and AWD are really not necessary unless you are stuck in deep snow or are doing a lot of off-roading. Front wheel drive is just as good. Traction control is a good selling point for me when we get used cars that have the option, but honestly it doesn't do anything and it hinders the performance of the car...plus I would imagine it's very costly to add it on. If you have the parts already then I guess you should go for it, but otherwise spend your money on something useful...I don't mean to be rude to ya, I don't know what's involved in hooking the system up, if I did I would tell ya.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciated, buddy, but I live in England and in the snow we had a couple of weeks ago, everyone here with their VW's & Audi's said it was really helpful. Mind you, they were mainly women drivers!

Anyone else know?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
WHOAAAAAAAA......incase you didn't know, ELLEN is a WOMAN'S name....I didn't realize you were in England, so I apologize...maybe you want to get a 4x4 to drive in the winter, otherwise someone on here has to know what's involved with hooking that system up. Either way, just so you know, not all women are bad drivers...in fact, my car doesn't have traction control, nor do I need it in the winter, unlike men like yourself :banana:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even notice, but what the hey - at least I made sure you were awake!

I can't afford a 4x4. They're all loadsmoney. Apart from those Suzuki things!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers both. I've had a word with Ford & am sorting, only thing I forgot was the different accelerator cable.

·
Registered
723 Posts
snow tires are key. Find a generic brand performance snow and you will be very happy with the outcome.

As for FWD vs. RWD vs. 4WD, I have all three in my house and I prefer my 2WD Ford pickup with good snow tires out of all of them.

One of the 4WDs is a Grand Vitara, and I really like it for off road and such, and its nice to have the traction to get out of deeper snow, but the overall handling of a RWD with a long wheelbase beats short wheelbase cars, and FWD by far in my opinion. FWD may get better off the line traction sometimes, but in actual cornering and driving the RWD is much more predictable.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: EllenD
My question is why would you want to do this? I sell cars for a living at a Suzuki dealership, and I hate to say it, but even 4x4 and AWD are really not necessary unless you are stuck in deep snow or are doing a lot of off-roading. Front wheel drive is just as good. Traction control is a good selling point for me when we get used cars that have the option, but honestly it doesn't do anything and it hinders the performance of the car...plus I would imagine it's very costly to add it on. If you have the parts already then I guess you should go for it, but otherwise spend your money on something useful...I don't mean to be rude to ya, I don't know what's involved in hooking the system up, if I did I would tell ya.
I can't count the number of times I've been cruising down an empty freeway in the rain at 65-70mph and seen the traction control light blink off and on here or there when a tire hydroplanes slightly. Instead of having to baby through mildly hazardous road conditions, I am able to continue driving at a normal pace. Now, if I didn't have traction control, I would have either begun to lose control of the vehicle due to hydroplaning at that point, or I would simply be forced to drive slower. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Traction Control was very handy with last year's snow. The Cougar performed splendidly in the snow... with 19's and Z rated tires... and i have one hell of a scary paved hill that leads to my house :)

It's only annoying when you are pulling in and out of parking lots (3 wheeling) and when trying to accelerate quickly.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Originally posted by: EllenD
Clearly, you don't drive in snow, because if you did, you would understand that when one wheel starts to spin, the vehicle is pulled in the direction of that spinning wheel.

I can't possibly begin to tell you how fantastic it is to have traction control. You can absolutely mat the pedal to the floor and the traction control will not allow the car to revolute above 2500 RPM. It's amazing becuase it will keep the car perfectly straight. You can even remove your hands from the wheel, and the car will still go straight, however this type of driving is not suggested.

I also can't tell you how many times the traction control has helped to get me out of deep snow jams. Norcal is also bang on with the hydroplaning issue. You probably have no idea how many times the traction control comes on during a rain storm, just to help keep the car stable. I would suggest traction control to anyone, however as CougarXR02 stated, snow tires are key as well.

As for an answer to your original post, I'm not sure exactly what would be involved with installing traction control, but I gotta believe it would be a little more in-depth than what you listed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am curious how the Cougar Traction Control works. As far as I know, short of a limited slip, or AWD, doesn't the computer sense wheel spin (or impending wheel spin) and apply slight braking to that wheel? Of course, this is not a performance feature in other than inclimate weather.

I also am confused how traction control could assist in hydroplane conditions, especially since hydroplaning does not only effect the drive wheels.

As to AWD or 4WD, there is nothing more interesting than to be passed by some ******* in a 4WD during heavy rain because he "thinks" he has better traction.

I saw this happen when a red Excursion flew past me just north of Flagstaff. A couple miles up the road I caught up with the Excursion. It was on it's lid. It had obviously gone into hydroplane, in spite of his 4WD, and rolled in the center median.

Also saw a (formerly) beautiful Audi 100 Quatro fly past me just north of Nurnberg after an early snow. Saw him loose it and go head-on into the center devider of the A3. Fortunately, he lost enough speed going sideways that he "only" crinkled his hood and fenders, backed up, and continued up the autobahn.

So, it just doesn't matter what you drive if you exceed the proper speed for the conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.