New Cougar Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
also, if you have a chance to let me know what you purchased for screens/interfacing, stuff like that, I could possibly replicate the build here on my end to help with any programming that ill have to do
I'm just about finished with the gerbers for the slave boards that will be inside the cluster. Assuming I can send them to fab house before the end of the week, it will be about 3 weeks before I have a working board in my hands. I'll go ahead and order 6. My BOM per board is about 5 dollars. The master board is going to have a atmega2560. I don't know if your familiar with the arduino community, but it will be the same processor that's on the arduino mega.

I'll post more details later when I have the time

·
Registered
109 Posts
if its going to be a similar I/O as the mega, i can go ahead and order the mega/screen combo for the time being until we get the rest up and fabricated

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Slave board top.PNG

I spun the slave boards today. Total cost came down to $2.00 per board plus $4.64 to fully populate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok, would it be possible to get a master slave system wkth the components to populate? (I can build it) if so how much/how soon? Also, what does each board control?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The slave boards contain the minimum required circuity for each oled panel. There will be one behind each lcd.

The master board will have the main processor as well as a clean power supply for each slave board.

The third board (or possible just part of the master board) will be a interface board to allow the buttons on the steering wheel to be used as an input to the system.

I don't mind sending you copies of the boards and components at material cost when they come in. The fab house i use usually take around 2-3 weeks. Whether you want to populate your boards yourself is your call, I did use a 20-VFQFN on the slave board. Ill let you google what that is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ok, I didn't realize we were using that type of mount.. just let me know the cost to get everything from you, and what ill need to purchase separate. then we can work out the rest of it

I am currently working on getting all my programming software reinstalled,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I would go ahead and order two oled displays in a color of your choice, the manufacture has white, blue, and amber available. They come from china and usually take a few weeks to reach the states.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I thought id share some of my progress on the master board. I just have a handful of things left to do before i submit it to the fab.
Beta1.jpg
Update: Finished and sent to the fab.
Beta5.jpg
MASTER TOP.jpg

The board takes a constant 12V input as well as a 12v tolerant trigger to tell the the board to start up when the ignition is turned on. In addition, it is able to connect to the OBD-II to pull vehicle information from the ECU. I threw an SD slot on it as well to store graphics and possible a Engine code look up table. I think it would be cool if it could display CEL codes when they occur.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Got the vfqfn solderded on the slaves. I have the pull the schematic from my work computer before I can put anything else on.
IMAG1035.jpg

·
Registered
779 Posts
This is so epic!

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
Amazing work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Making progress this morning. I struggled to get the slave board transceiver to work properly. After rereading a couple data sheets, I realized I made two mistakes. After soldering some jumpers I got it to initialize.
Snapchat-4390867193995283900.jpg
I'll have spin a 2nd revision to the slave, in the meantime, ill start working on debugging the master.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Just a teaser for y'all. I managed to break both oleds trying to mount them in the cluster so I'm dead in the water until I can get some new ones from china. Looks like I'll have to break out the dremal to get the flex cable to sit properly without snapping.

Snapchat-3203140818222955983.jpg

·
Registered
779 Posts
Tldr, will this be something offered for sale?

Would it be possible to use an android double din with a custom app for the interface?

·
Registered
109 Posts
AH! Grant, i apologize.. i got a new phone, and forgot to get myself up and running with notifications.... it looks like things are coming along great!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Haha good to hear from you again.

I'm current working on my second revision of the board set. Ive already sent the slave board to the fab and Im still working on the master board. Ive made a lot of changes and fixed some mistakes that were present in the first revisions. I was even able to reduce the size of the slave by 60%.

KAOS_2.5M - Its open source so really anything is possible, it just depends who wants to program it :tongue: It would be possible to create a command set for various functions and controls, then tack on a bluetooth module. The processor im using can handle it.
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 2.01.43 AM.png REVBPrototype.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
looks great! im hoping this comes together really well, i think this would look great, especially if you could make it easy to change the OLED panel, which would allow people to customize it based on which color they prefer.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah aren't you building this on a raspberry pi?

61 - 80 of 90 Posts