New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all, it IS a problem....it's long...
Enjoy.

Thought you guys might enjoy this...I'm posting it on the Dell support forums. It's all true....I'm still living the nightmare.

<SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Ok, so here's the situation. Back in Feb I ordered 2 servers from the DFO...nothing unusual...did it the same way I always have and then paid immediately with a wire transfer. Well, a few days later my order arrives...at least part of it. It seems that one of the servers was missing from the order...no problem, typically Dell customer care is pretty good about finding the missing part and letting me know when it will be available. Not the case this time...seemed the Server was just gone. After a few days of digging the server turns up in a DFO warehouse and ready to be shipped out...to the NEW OWNER. Evidently since it was still in inventory someone else was given the chance to purchase it, and they did....ok, frustrating (because I needed that server to move forward on a project that had a timeline) but nothing I felt to worried about...new server as a replacement on it's way? No.

Seems that for some odd reason I could not simply get another machine of equal value or of the same build shipped out to me...Ok I say, well then just credit my account and I'll order another server...maybe one a bit better and just pay the difference...WRONG. Seems that Dell can not do such an OUTRAGEOUS thing as CREDIT someone...the way it MUST be handled is a refund in the same format as the payment was made. Cool I say...I can deal with that. A wire transfer back into our account (although it means more work for me because I have to wait and the resubmit a new order and a new purchase requisition) was going to be suitable....wrong again. According to customer care a check is the same as a wire transfer...a check that takes 10-15 business days to receive is the same as a wire that takes minutes??? An odd bit of reasoning for sure, but I was assured that there was nothing else that could be done. I was instructed to just wait and within 15 business days we'd have our check and I could then re place my order. After talking it over with my boss he agreed to let me go ahead and re order machines from Dell knowing that our $2,800 would be back in the bank within the month.

Fast forward about 2 months to April...

Sitting at my desk looking over invoices I am reminded about the refund situation. I decide to call our accounting department and see if the server check ever made it's way back. Accounting does some looking, and nope...no check. Again, I call Dell Customer care. It takes about an hour of explaining and research for the rep to grasp what is going on, and in the end it turns out that the original refund request was not processed properly. Request resubmitted, please wait 15 business days.

Fast forward 1 month

Me: So accounting department, was the check from Dell delivered on time? Accounting department: What check from Dell? We never received a check from Dell.
Me: WTF?

Again, I call Dell customer care...this time none to happy. Hour to explain and research, request manager. The manager was quite sympathetic and after about 2 hours of phone time I am assured that the check is in the mail. Processing has been done and out the door the check will go out within 3 or 4 days...I even get a DPS number to track the situation with! Woo HOO! It's done...money on it's way...I tell my boss who is quite happy, and I place my next order with dell for several laptops.

Fast forward 1 month

Me: So accounting department, was the check from Dell delivered on time? Accounting department: What check from Dell? We never received a check from Dell.
Me: I so hate you Mr. Dell

I call Customer care, an hour to research and explain, and the problem is found...I get a REFERENCE number (yay) and I'm told that the check should be released in about 3 days... I am now to call back with the REFERENCE number and check on the status. To my TOTAL surprise (please reread for sarcasm) the check never goes out and this time the customer service person I speak with has no idea what I'm talking about because my reference number DOESN'T MATCH ANY OPEN CASES. Evidently REFERENCE numbers are placebos designed to make you go away and not worry.

Once more I call dell customer care, Hour to explain and research, request manager. I speak to a very nice agent by the name of Kay. She is once again very sympathetic and tells me that she will look into this and call me back...I love you Kay.. A bit later Kay does in fact call me. Seems the past few refunds got held up for verification by the warehouse not confirming that the system was there...Really....gee, could that be because they had sold it months back to someone else? Mmmmmmm yes. Kay gets it all cleared up. Dell now knows where the machine is, knows I got shafted, knows I have been waiting 5 months for my money back. I get a wonderful NEW DPS number to reference, and it gets passed on to some Higher Ups...people with actual power. FINALLY...a celebration takes place and I go away happily knowing my money is on it's way...

Higher Ups are magical beings much like unicorns...and much like unicorns they are also quite fictional.

Relieved of the stress following the refund-that-cannot-be, I go about my life ordering systems from Dell and doing my job...until one day

Boss: So where's that refund from Dell
Me: WTF?

The time is now August...it has now been 7 months since we paid Dell and received nothing in return...no server, no credit, and NO REFUND. I place another call in to dell. This time I reference my wonderful DPS number and with it's magical aid it only takes 45 minutes to research and explain. After realizing that the customer service agent I am talking to is about as useful as a Chia pet in this situation (ok, that's an unfair statement...because I can think of several uses for a Chia Pet in this situation) I ask to speak to a manager....please reread any of the above paragraphs for an idea of what happened next. I know this is not happening...I know I am not going to be forced to wait AGAIN....I am of course wrong.

By now my boss is tired of hearing me say it's taken care of, and the check is on it's way, and I'm tired of wasting hour upon hour dealing with this BS...BUT amazingly enough after a month or so I have not heard from our accounting department! Seems like they must have gotten it! WRONG

I call the phone number I now have memorized and burned into my brain.

Dell customer care: thank you for calling Dell customer care. Can I get your e-mail address for a one time quality survey.
Me: *!%$ off.

This time I am very NOT HAPPY. Armed with my magic DPS number I once again sit through 1 hour to explain, and research (WTH? I have a DPS number...that should have shaved off at least 15 minutes) and begin the process again. Now I am sent by request to the supervisor on duty...cool, someone that at least has an illusion of power. This individual seems to be the most sympathetic to date, and the most capable as well. Not only do they take care of the situation, but I am also offered an additional check for $200 for my time! Damn straight...now that's what I'm talking about! Money for my wasted time. To boot, I'm told that it is DEFINITELY HAPPENING! YES! And if it does not happen within the next week I can call back and get hooked up with a free Dell Axim X3i. JACKPOT....as much as I want that money back, I want that free Axim too...and given the past history it seems like a sure bet, BUT, this lady new her stuff, so Axim aside I'm guessing it's a check...FINALLY.

I check over the next 2 days on my order status site and low and behold...there's a bonus check for $200..AND I SEE A REFUND! Damn straight...it's fixed...my money is back...I Smile, I laugh at the past half year, and then I damn near crap my pants. The refund....for my $2800 server...IS FREAKIN $358.09. What THE hell?

Ok, so I sucked at math in HS...I sucked at math in College....granted I can't do long division to save my life....but beyond all that I can tell that $358.09 in NO way equals $2800. A blind Colobus monkey on crack would be shaking it’s head saying "Who the [email protected]*k counted those pennies"? I call Dell again...Hour to explain and research....and I forget to request a manager...my bad. This was the most nail biting experience yet. It took everything in my power to not act like an ADD 13 year old with Turrets Syndrome...somehow I kept composed...somehow I never said ANY of the thoughts, or asked ANY of the questions to the keyboard monkey on the other side that were running through my head...but I could only discuss the matter at hand for so long before I realized that I should be talking to a manager if I wanted ANY of the false sense of accomplishment I had so wonderfully felt in the past. Enter supervisor. I explain everything AGAIN over very well 30 minutes. I tell her about all the time I have wasted...about how long I have been waiting for this to come back to me...I pour my hart and soul out to this woman.....I ask her to look and see what she can find...for the love of god, and my sanity...PLEASE HELP ME....and what do I get? "I'm sorry sir, I'll process this. Please check back in 10-15 business days" W H A T T H E !#@$? Now...by this point in time I have spent easily over 30 hours on the phone with Dell customer care...I am at my wits end...it has been 8 months...I look like an idiot to my accounting department...people joke about my situation around my office...I can't take it anymore. I am weak with despair...my hopes are gone...but I carry on. I explain to her my plight again...and then I remember my consolation...the Axim....hell yeah. They owe me an Axim X3i! I tell her about the $200 and about the promise of my wireless device and she replies with: "that's impossible. We do not give away free hardware, or cash refunds in situations like this. All we can give you is the amount owed to you". I disagree...FU...I STRONGLY Disagree...not only did I have it on THEIR website that THEY gave US back $200 for my troubles, but I'll be damned that they do NOT in fact give back the amount that is in fact OWED as she so kindly put! I tell her she is wrong...I tell her to check our account I tell her to please look at our account. There she will see a $200 refund for our troubles...there she will see that I have wasted time and effort on this and still nothing has been resolved...there I ask her to PLEASE help me...PLEASE see if there is someone else I can talk to....PLEASE give me some relief from this never-ending nightmare! Please...Please!
Hello?
The ***** hung up on me.

I can't bring myself to call back immediately...I can't bring myself to call back for a week....but I do....and I follow steps A B and C...and I am again at a supervisor....this time there is a change. After a bit of work she comes back on with a wonderful heartfelt apology...a great and friendly woman that tells me something new...something I wanted to hear for ooooh so long...It's done. Taken care of...over. Money is on it's way back. I nearly piss my pants with joy. No more calls...no more explanations...no more waiting...it's done...they will be sending a check for the remaining balance of $2200 roughly. I want to marry that woman... After MANY thank yous and kind words I remember my Axim. I tell her about the previous promise and she responds by saying "Of Course. After all you went through, that seems justifiable" Oh my god...I love that woman. I am given a reference number and told to call back in 2 days to get the Credit Memo number regarding the refund. Again I think her and for once, I truly feel like this is over and I can carry on with life as normal.

Tuesday rolls around...I decide to refrain from checking my order status till the promised second day and on Wed, I jump on anxiously to look at the wonders that will befall me. There...in the list of orders past is a new on....a free on. An Axim 3Xi windows compact with wireless integrated device? No. A Palm Zire

FU Dell

This is the Atari ET cartridge of the Palm world. This was a mid range Palm system 2 years ago. This costs less to ship to me than it does for Dell to pay to have it put in to a landfill. This is a kick in the nuts....But hey. At least I can get that credit memo....so I call Dell. Firstly I ask about my laughable downgrade in compensation...and of course I am told by the male monkey on the other end that there was nothing he could do. Fine...At least I got something free....should be fun to launch in the air next time I go skeet shooting...so I ask about the reference number...and of course.....he does not have access to that info. Screw it....I don't have the time to re-explain the entire situation so I decide to call back on Friday...today Friday...Halloween...October 31st 8 months past my original order Friday...and so I do. I get bounced to 3 different departments this time (still not sure what the hell that was about) but anyway I get to the person I need to talk to. I give them my reference number and I'm told that there is no credit memo for that....THAT reference number is linked to a case from 2002. I am speechless. I was given the wrong Ref#...the lady not only screwed me on my Axim 3Xi, she also gave me the WRONG number....I start over AGAIN...Today...HALLOWEEN.

So here I sit....I wrote this entire thing while being on hold with the wondrous force that is Dell Customer Care...and I am still in the same position I was 8 months ago. Oh, but I have a Palm Zire. Yay.

If there is ANYONE out there reading this that can help...there will be a case of beer with your name on it, and a crap load of thanks to top it off.

Jason
</SPAN>

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
:cry: I've dealt with dell before.. They aren't the brightest bulbs in the box:crazy:

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
theres a good reason dell rhymes with hell... :)
Sorry about your misfortunes... after two tries
a corporate lawyer would have been involved..
you'd be amazed how fast a company reacts..
and dealing on the phone doesn't always work, write a letter...or several.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I think legal actions should ensue. It's bullshit that dell screwed you so bad like this. I wouldn't be able to hold myself back after about the 3rd call. Talk to your boss, get a lawyer, and file a suit.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Can I have your Palm? :flushed:

Jesus, that's rediculous. I was always under the impression they had at least decent customer service... A good friend just got the runaround trying to her product key for Works from them. I guess after a good while on the phone, she just got bored of being bounced from department to department.

K

·
0 Posts
a corporate lawyer would have been involved..
i think this is your best idea, what dell is doing is fraud kinda.... i dunno how laws work but you might be able to sue...?

write them a business letter and send it verified mail to the "big shots" at dell, threaten to sue them and take it on the news. That is total bs and i would have already burned down dell is this was happening to me, i guess your just too nice jason! Get on Dell's ass like we have to get on mercury dealerships, nothing ever gets done unless someones pissed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What a story...since you are not too far from the home of Dell, did you consider gaterhing a few good ole' boys with pickups with loaded gunracks and make a personal appearance at their HQ with all your paperwork:cover: At least you would be talking to a human face to face...and I don't think they want unfriendly visitors at Round Rock....:flushed: It might work...and next time...go to IBM or Gateway or HP/Compaq or anybody else:naughty:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I just faxed that to the supervisor, and Customer Care Rep I just got done talking to. Can't wait to get a response.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol...I may ahve to. Do they have any good incentives...besides giving you refunds when they are due?

M

·
0 Posts
sure, depends on what you want....

I work in their Financial Services division, where we lease, (re) finance all of the goodies, does about 12 Billion in sales per year.....

remember, Dell doesnt INVENT stuff (look for instance at % of Revenue that's spent on their R&D), they merely produce.....HP Invents (was #5 in patents in the US last year), but I might be biased.......

P

·
0 Posts
I cannot believe i sat here and read that whole editorial, of course i had to use my neighbor to help me with the big ole' words, but i am sure glad i did not have to go through the kidney pains, you did, i am on my dell laptop and was thinking of getting another dell, looks like its a panasonic or a sony for me!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I got a call from a Customer Care Rep at Dell. They read my letter and apologized for all the troubles. They are also sending me an Axim....but going with the flow of things it's not a 3Xi, but a 5X....about $200 less in value....I have that confirmed. Still no Refund though.

I may have to write another letter
Don't make me write another letter!
*shakes fist in air*

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: Miez
Time to switch to

<a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http:////www.hp.com/" target=blank>the COMPETITOR</A>

Oh yeah, I DO WORK for HP

HP all the way

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I could get decent incentives to switch I would. Right now the prices we get from Dell are to good though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts