New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about purchacing one of two different subs and would just like some feed back on them if there is any available from people who have them or have heard them..can get them for the same price on ebay but not sure which one to get...my amp will doo 500wRMS bridged @4 ohms the subs i am thinking about are the RFD2112 by rockford <--dual 2 ohm or the ti12 by Phoenix gold<--single 4 ohm...help please...soon:drama:

they are both 1000 watt subs both with a 500 RMS ratting..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Go for the Phoenix, much better thain the Rockford you selected. Rockford makes several different product qualitys, ones for stores like Best Buy and the ones at speciality stores. The Rockford you selected is of the cheaper type and not that great of quality, one major flaw is the paper cone. The Phoenix at least has upgraded materials, such as the titanium cone.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i never though that the HX2 was a lower model of sub...looks to be the next in line to the power series...but thanx i am leaning toward the phoenix..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only two people had something to say here...not a lot of help i was hoping for a little more input...oh well..:(

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I installed stereo's for a few years, and I went to both Rockford's and Orion's installation schools. From a true audiophile point of view, PG is crap. It may be fine for a street stereo, but the frequency response and linear excursion is much less than that of Rockford's. Plus, the spider wires are generally too short, and thin, and tend to break often during heavy loads, or extreme power. They should have stuck to making power wires, but their problem is they have branced into so many markets that their Development Team is over taxed and they end up producing lower quality products.

Rockford has lost a bit of my respect, as well, over the past 6 years. Their sound processors are excellent still, but I prefer to stay away from their new amps and subs.

For a good set of great subs, check out either JL's lower end, or Orion's XTR line. Both of these will outperform the PG and Rockford models, and at about the same price. (Orion XTR3's go for $35-$40 each for DVC 12"s.)

Now, this is not just personal opinion, but professional experience talking, but you don't need to take my word for it. I no longer sell audio equipment simply because so many people want to buy crap and then get mad when it sounds how its built. The number 1 rule is "You get what you pay for". Also remember, if you go to a store that sells PG and has a good markup on it, that's what they are going to try and sell you, so you cannot listen to what most stereo shops tell you. The only TRUE way to get the info you're looking for (without the personal bias and upselling) is by doing research in Car Audio and Electronics, or via the web.

E1

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I agree with eternal one, atleast with the fact that JL and Orion are definately a better option. I have had rockfords, JL Audio, and a few others in the past. Out of the group JL sounded the best, both base and clarity. It depends on what you want, deep/loud bass or clean/punchy bass. I would go for the orions for the deeper bass with a bandpass box. Otherwise go with the JL's and a sealed box. Good luck with your choice.

Scott

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only problem is i hate orion and i cant find a JL in the same price range...i know i shouldn't base it entirely on price but i am in a jam now and need a sub...$100 bucks wont break the bank and will last long enough to get me to the next project..thanx for the input guys and gals..

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
only problem is i hate orion
LOL, you have got to be the first person I have ever heard say that. Normally people only hate Orion because they are misinformed, or thrown off by the price. I had 4 12" Orion XTR3's in my SUV and I won 2nd place in South Padre a few years back, and that was w/ a blown fuse and running only 2 subs. Not to mention the 2 page article in Lowrider Magazine featuring my stereo. Considering the subs only cost $80 each, you cannot beat Orion. (There's something about a former NASA contractor building my amps and subs that I like.)

Besides, Orion's parent company owns about 1/2 of stereo market now, man. And a lifetime warranty, how can you go wrong? What exactly do you not like?

E1

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i love thier amps i have just had bad luck with their subs..that is the only reason i dont like them...hate was too strong a word i guess...nobody in my town carries orion anyway...if i can find some, maybe i will take a listen again..thanx guys again

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
i never though that the HX2 was a lower model of sub...looks to be the next in line to the power series...but thanx i am leaning toward the phoenix..
I just bought this system and am very pleased.

Hx2's are Rockfords "highest level" product. It's in the order: Punch Z, He, He2, Hx2.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just saw a sweet lookinf orion HCCA or something like that...pretty wild looksub way out of my price range though $899 with a tuned box...and that was a ten"...oh well i bought the phoenix anyway...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Ahh, the best of the best, Orion HCCA's. I have 2 12"s of these suckers, but they require MAJOR power to push them. (1200watts Class-D RMS)

Yes, a bit pricy, but with all of the innovation into them, they are absolutely the best subs I've owned. I've never blown a single speaker (and I push over 1000 watts each), and even if I do, they have a lifetime warranty. =)

You're right though, $899 for a single 10" in a box seems a bit high. I paid $500 each for my 12"s -- box cost cannot be determined yet since I've went though 6 designs so far, and still haven't found my "perfect" setup.

E1

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am biased... i have heard every system under the sun... before purchasing my stereo equipment I went to DB drag shows and car audio shows almost every weekend...

I bought to Kicker L7 8" subs and put a Kicker kx800.2 to them. Reasoning on the amp is that it actually makes well over 1000 watts. They have certificates of power output included in them.

I also got a Kicker kx600.4 which makes well over 700 watts for the mids and highs....

Really i don't think you can go wrong with kicker... subs are unblowable... put whatever amount of power you want to em...

Orion's weren't too bad when I listened to em, I don't think JL's are worth the money... a kicker 12" L7 will out pound a jl w7 12" with the same power, and Rockford has turned to crap. I bought a rockford CD player and no complaints as of yet... I think its nice and it has 3 preouts.. Front Rears and Subs.

Phoenix Gold... you are gonna need warranty.... those things blow... the big one! :) Almost as much as Sony's car audio division...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you guys in the states have it so easy when it comes to stereo equipment...for example you can buy these inifinty kappa perfects for under two hunderd and i was just at my local shp here in barrie Canada and these exact speakers where on a door crasher sale of $699.95 plus install..hmmm how do even stand a chance up here..hehe oh well i will just keep pluggin away at work i guess until i can afford them..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hehe the big disclaimer "NO INTERNATIONAL shipping,if you live anywhere but the 50 united states then dont bid" thing kinda made me think they dont ship to canada..
i personally really like PG stuff..i have never really heard the ups or downs about them but they were huge here where i live but people stopped carring them cause most of the consumers would rather buy crap equipment at half the price then spend the money on Phoenix stuff

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I bought to Kicker L7 8" subs and put a Kicker kx800.2 to them. Reasoning on the amp is that it actually makes well over 1000 watts. They have certificates of power output included in them.

I also got a Kicker kx600.4 which makes well over 700 watts for the mids and highs....

Really i don't think you can go wrong with kicker... subs are unblowable... put whatever amount of power you want to em...
You can thank Orion for that. ;) Kicker and Orion are owned by the same company now, and lots of Orion's research is going into Kicker products now. Same with amp ratings. Back before they changed the IASCA rules I was running 4 Orion HCCA 12"s and was in the 0-250 watt class. I had a 4x25watt amp on the subs, and a 2x25 watt amp on my 12 mids and highs. But, since they were Orion red-series they were stable to 1/4ohm, and I was pushing enough power to crack my windshield at Spring Break Nationals. (Not to mention it took a 350amp alt, and 4 extra batteries on an isolated electrical system.)

Thing is, IASCA and USAC have changed their rules now, they go by sub diameter now, so less cheating using "cheater-amps". Its all about the quality in the design now, which is why there are the H2's. =)

E1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts