New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I'm new here and in need of a little advice. I recently had the rear brake rotors on my 1999 Cougar replaced and a front wheel alignment done about a week ago. However the day after I picked up my car the brake light above the rearview mirror came on and we're not sure why. Only the rear rotors were replaced could this have triggered the sensor or should the sensor be replaced perhaps? Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The sensor is nothing more than a contact built into the new pads. It is possible that something got onto the sensor that is creating continuity or perhaps a wire was shorted. You might also want to check the front pads. My suggestion however, would be to take the car back to whomever did the brake job. Odds are they checked the front pads also and they were ok or they'd have sold those to you as well. They can identify the problem and if it was the result of someone stripping a wire during the alignment they can let you know. Good luck.

Andy

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
It could also be that the new pads don't have a sensor in them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the sensor isn't attached the light won't go on. I am missing the short splice wire between the wiring harness and the brake pad on the right front and it has never created a problem other than the difficulty in trying to find a replacement.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Originally posted by: Andyb119
If the sensor isn't attached the light won't go on. I am missing the short splice wire between the wiring harness and the brake pad on the right front and it has never created a problem other than the difficulty in trying to find a replacement.
Not true. None of my brake pads had sensors when i installed them and my brake symbol is on.

·
8,643 Posts
Originally posted by: Andyb119
There is no wiring for a right-front sensor. Just the left front and the two rears. (I have no idea why.)

If they don't have the sensors, the light will come on. The sensor has to be hooked up or the wires tied together to turn off the light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.