New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, those with progress springs. were your springs smaller in diameter on the top then they were on the bottom? if so, did the shop you had them installed at say a word? cuz i went to have mine installed, and my mechanic was astonished at the poor engineering of that concept. the springs slide around on the top spring pirch and would constantly bash into the shaft of the strut. i would take a look at this if you had them installed by a shop and they didn't say anything. that could cause quite the issues a little while down the road.

and now to craig:
i long time ago you mentioned a camber kit that could come out from some shop you know or something. has there been any progress whatsoever? was the a "no dice" that i just missed?

(and just to give a definative answer to those who might wonder, no, you do not need a spring compressor to get the Progress springs on. to get stock off, but not to put the new ones on)

uRiDiAN

·
Registered
635 Posts
my progress spring fit the perches pretty good...the rears were just a little bit loose (I put a small section of hose on it to take up the slop)...there is no way they have enough movement in them to hit the struts...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the springs themselves had the same diameter at the bottom and the top?

uRiDiAN

·
Registered
635 Posts
no, the tops are smaller than the bottoms, just like the OEM ones...at least they are on mine...(we're talking about the rears right?)....I compared the sizes of the ends before I installed them to make sure I was installing them correctly.

the springs will move around when the wheels are off the ground because the uncompressed lenght of the lowering springs are much shorter than the OEM ones...maybe that what the guy installing your,s saw, but that's going to be the case with most if lowering springs...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, i'm talking about all 4 springs. the front springs have even a smaller diameter then the rears.

and the oem ones (at least the fronts) are the same diameter top and bottom...

the diameter of the fronts is small enough so that it won't make a difference whether or not there's weight on them, there is NOTHING there for them to mount into, where as the OEM ones have that lip with the 'indent' for the end of the spring to sit in.

i'm wondering if we got different springs and mine might be the wrong ones...

uRiDiAN

·
Registered
635 Posts
sounds like you got the wrong springs.....the rears have a very noticeable taper top to bottom but the fronts are (should be) virtually straight.

G

·
Im not tracking the lowering scene, but want to learn. Can someone tell me about the camber thing. Also if you lower your coug only an inch to an inch and a half would you have a problem with alignment??

Thanx Later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.