New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time you change your oil, do you replace your oil filter too? Or do you do it like every other time, or what? Peace out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't quite got up under there yet. I know where the screw is to get the oil out, but where is the filter located, hard to get to? Peace out

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Change it EVERY time. No exceptions. I worked at a lube shop for 2.5 years, and trust me, I saw what happens when you just say "eh... I won't worry about it this time." Oil isn't supposed to "plop" out of the drain hole. The Motorcraft filters are like $5, and they're actually pretty easy to get to (just changed mine last night, actually).

·
Administrator
11,704 Posts
The filter is a ***** to get to. Why would you put a regular maintenance thing in THAT place. You'll need to get one of those plastic socket oil filter wrenches and bust a few knuckles. Look under the car towards the middle-front and you'll see a white barrel looking thing, thats the filter.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
The V6 Filter is very easy to get at... of course if the filter is too tight I can see how it would be a pain... but not that much.. I've changed my oil everytime since after 1000 miles. very easy. WIX filters are my filter of choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DO NOT BUY FRAM. They suck. I was talking with some other neco members and some guy did some research on these filters. He took like 100 fram filters, cut them open and found nothing but paper and a metal screen. No check valves no nothing. DO NOT BUY FRAM. I bought fram for such a long time and even after like 1000 miles my oil was dirty(pulling the dipstick) was not clear like new oil. This time I used an AMSOIL filter and oil and it is still clean after 1200 miles. No dirt or residue... so like I said FRAM SUCKS AND DO NOT BUY IT. Get AC DELCO or the Motorcraft filters or amsoil if you want to spend a little extra for the very best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And one more thing when you change your filter alsways fill your filter up with oil. Most shops don't do this because its a real pain but you should.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Edge - I can relate to that! I also worked at a Penzoil jiffy lube for like 2 years and I saw some $hit.. What people will do to thier cars.. We actualy had people believing they needed to check and fill thier blinker fluid on a regular basis! The worst part of it was more guys believed us than girls.... That scares me!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
fair warning to all canadians:

If one day while changing your oil you notice orange gunk on your engine block, just blame ford for poorly insulating the block heater cable .....

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
When I switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic should I also use the Mobil 1 Filters? The lady at the store said those filters last longer, maybe 7000 miles or so....

Right now, i change my oil every 5000 miles, when i switch to Synthetic, can i go 7500?

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
why only canadians? My black coug has a block heater... I never use it, but it's there..... Where is the cord supposed to go anyways when its not in use? mine just hangs there next to the engine like a dumbass, very close to pulleys and belts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
nick... all new canadian vehicles must come equipped with a block heater... if you have one it's because the dealership (or youself) special ordered it.... as for the cable just dangling... it shouldn't there is a little clip that it should fit in to hold it away from the pulleys... also the cable is actually 2 cables.. i'm not sure if you have them both in there now, but one cable goes from the engine and ends with a werid terminator and the other cable plugs into this terminator and ends to your wall outlet. you can take this second cable off and just plug it in when you need it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I was in college I worked at a service station and our rules, for changing oil, were:
- Always change the filter with the oil.
- Always coat the oil filter gasket with oil and fill the filter, at least half way, with oil before installing it.
- Then fill the car with oil (being careful not to over fill)
- start the car and let it run for 3 - 5 minutes before shutting it off and check the oil again to ensure there is enough in there.

As far as funny gas station stories go, I had an older woman come in with her 1978 Monte Carlo and told me her husband sent her down to have the winter air taken out of the tires and have the summer air put in. It was everything I could do to not laugh out loud while trying to explain to her that there is no such thing.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The v6 filter is a pain! I didn't have the plastic thingy and once I got the filter loosened it was OK but getting it that way was a pain. Putting it back on was easier and I just hand tightened it with my hand and no tools. I usually just put oil on the gasket. Why fill it? With the new oil or old oil?

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
You fill a filter with new oil when installing a new filter to "prime" it. This way, when you start the car, the filter has some oil to flow instead of having to suck air until oil starts to flow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah. If you changed your oil every day you engine would last forever, BUT... I don't know anyone with enough money or time to change it every day. I change mine every 2000 miles even with amsoil synthetic... take no chances with my high hp motor.... nor my girlfriends coug....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.