New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I was wondering this the other night when I was at the drag strip.

When I was getting towards the top end, I had to decide whether or not to shift to 4th gear. I was getting VERY close to 7k, where the rev limiter is. I went ahead play it safe and shifted to 4th.

Am I better off holding out until the end in 3rd? Or will I be better off shifting into 4th? I know our power curve drops off after 6200 or so, but do I pick up anything by getting back to 4500 or so by going to 4th?

I'm racing a guy in a Camaro Friday night, and its pretty much gonna be a dead heat. I'm looking for every tenth I can to help me out.

BTW, i wasn't sure if this should go here or in the Drag Strip section. I was thinking here, because I'm asking for a driving tip. If its wrong, go ahead and move it. Sorry.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Shift at 6200 each and every time in a stock 2.5L, period. I don't care what gear it puts you into, as long as you're shifting quickly it won't make a difference. It'll drop you into the meat of the powerband anyway.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,981 Posts
I bonked the rev limiter in 3rd before I crossed the traps. Stupid tach.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
I bonked the rev limiter in 3rd before I crossed the traps. Stupid tach.
I've done that so many times! :shrug:

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
we've already been through this.

Clicky

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Originally posted by: bensenvill
we've already been through this.

Clicky
If you want a good laugh, read this thread! :rofl:

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, the effects of inhaling too much exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Originally posted by: azbobbybooshay10
Ladies and gentlemen, the effects of inhaling too much exhaust fumes.
bobby, i'll pay you to find another car and a new forum, im getting annoyed on a daily basis by your dumbass comments, ideas, etc

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
1/4 Mile: 16.138 @ 87.005 mph, 2.584 60' (crap launch)
Anyone can take it to redline, clutch, shift, WOT, and go fairly quick. But "mastering" the ATX is a much different proposition.
anyone but an assclown like you, eh?

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Originally posted by: CBG
Anyone can take it to redline, clutch, shift, WOT, and go fairly quick. But "mastering" the ATX is a much different proposition.
BWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Originally posted by: CBG
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ownage

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the best way I can compare it is this.

Its like Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. You start to think "Hey, I can cook this, I can cook pretty good." Then you actually make homemade macaroni and cheese (where you grate the cheese, and make the mix and everything yourself from scratch) and realize that the Kraft stuff really wasn't as difficult as you thought, compared to making the real stuff from scratch.

Yeah, thats me in the ATX/MTX thing. Before I was only seeing it from the ATX point of view. Now that I have an MTX, its like "You know, that ATX really wasn't all I cracked it up to be".

I hereby officially retract what I said about the ATX stuff. I now sentence that "ATX skill" thread to the hells of the NECO Archives, never to be seen again!

Wait, as long as Wade, lbizboy, bensenvill, BBOX, and NorCal are around, just when I think its finally gonna disappear, BAM, thread revival!

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
sorry bobby, I only brought it up because you have "mastered the ATX" and moved on to the MTX

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
you trapped at 87mph. with 4.06 gearing you cannon go that fast in 3rd with v6 stock rev limiter(6750). Cant even go over 85 with 3.82 gearing on a 4 cyl. (6950) So yes you have to shift!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Originally posted by: bensenvill
sorry bobby, I only brought it up because you have "mastered the ATX" and moved on to the MTX
Now he has mastered mac & cheese. The man is a jack of all trades.:slap:

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My next step: Mastering Top Ramen!

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I think the best way I can compare it is this.

Its like Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. You start to think "Hey, I can cook this, I can cook pretty good." Then you actually make homemade macaroni and cheese (where you grate the cheese, and make the mix and everything yourself from scratch) and realize that the Kraft stuff really wasn't as difficult as you thought, compared to making the real stuff from scratch.

Yeah, thats me in the ATX/MTX thing. Before I was only seeing it from the ATX point of view. Now that I have an MTX, its like "You know, that ATX really wasn't all I cracked it up to be".

I hereby officially retract what I said about the ATX stuff. I now sentence that "ATX skill" thread to the hells of the NECO Archives, never to be seen again!

Wait, as long as Wade, lbizboy, bensenvill, BBOX, and NorCal are around, just when I think its finally gonna disappear, BAM, thread revival!
Correction, as long as you keep posting stupid stuff, and replying with non-intelligent comments, all of the people above will revive what you said about shifting dat ATX yo!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.