New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i'm at a fork in the road....

heres the situation, early this winter my car got vandalized (scratched up pretty good), and now i am having some engine trouble such as power loss and it just seems like the cougar has already seen better days (its at 43k!!!!!). i brought it to a shop twice and they couldn;'t find anything so its not really noticable (slight electrical powerloss that is getting more noticable). well my dad is willing to get the car repainted through insurance and sell it if i am willing.

i love the car, but i hate the potential future for it. do i sell it now while its still running and has a brand new paint job? or do i keep it and possibly face more money in the future?

what i am looking at new cars are 2000 jetta, 98-99 altima, 98-99 integra

what do you all think?

andrew

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just remember Jettas are electrical nightmares, whether brand new or used, as are all VW's and Audi.

·
Registered
165 Posts
find a 02' cougar on a lot, i'm sure there are some brand new ones still around. then spend your dad's money on starting mods.

don't become another ricer, behind the wheel of an import that your cougar can own

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whoooooa...daddys money? i pay for my stuff myself...the only reason that my dad is paying for the paint is cause it was partly his fault it happened

·
Registered
504 Posts
the VW's can look really nice with cosmetic mods. my mom has a 2001 VR6 since new and has had maybe 1 problem where the blinker wouldnt work. if it were my choice of those you listed i would look for a GSR integra and mod it the right way.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when you say electrical nightmare...what exactly do you mean? stuff shorting out? cd turing on when ac is pressed? engine blowing up and taking out a city block?

i want a teg, but they might be a lil out of my range....with the trade in i am thinking maybe 9-9,500 if i am really lucky....i mean really lucky...and then i will be willing to put down a grand extra of my one, then i gotta pay tax and register it and all that mumbo jumbo...and most 2000 jettas go for arond 9k while integras go for around 11k and up, especially a gsr

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
i'd probably rethink what you'll get for a trade in..... 9-9500 is REALLY high.... you're probably looking at 6-6500... maybe 7 but i doubt it. could even be less. who knows.

when you do go to trade the car in and get a new one. negotiate the price of the car you want to buy FIRST. don't mention a trade in at all until the price and all that is finalized/written down/or whatnot. that way, you'll probably be able to save a little more than you would have just rushing in with the trade.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i did some car shopping, and there seem to be a lot of jettas out there, a few altimas and very few integras in my range.

one thing that REALLY REALLY REALLY pissed me off was at the last dealership i went to i was looking at some cars and a salesman was helping me out, and i'm looking at the car and i told him i would be dealing with all of the money and signing and all that (i'm 18 by the way which comes into play)....so i ask him for a ballpark price and he goes "Well when mom and dad are ready to be serious have them call me and we can talk numbers" and i go "no you don't understand, they don't have anything to do with it, i am buying the car myself" and he kind of had a grin on his face and goes "ok, well when they are ready have them call me and we can work out a price".....gives me his card and walked away. i was about ready to kick him in the nuts.:mad:

argh, but the other dealerships took me seriously and i saw a few good deals, like a 99 jetta with 43k vr6 which puts out around 200hp, and thats on a car smaller and lighter than ours in stick...mmmmmmm

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by: Bayeri
well i did some car shopping, and there seem to be a lot of jettas out there, a few altimas and very few integras in my range.

one thing that REALLY REALLY REALLY pissed me off was at the last dealership i went to i was looking at some cars and a salesman was helping me out, and i'm looking at the car and i told him i would be dealing with all of the money and signing and all that (i'm 18 by the way which comes into play)....so i ask him for a ballpark price and he goes "Well when mom and dad are ready to be serious have them call me and we can talk numbers" and i go "no you don't understand, they don't have anything to do with it, i am buying the car myself" and he kind of had a grin on his face and goes "ok, well when they are ready have them call me and we can work out a price".....gives me his card and walked away. i was about ready to kick him in the nuts.:mad:

argh, but the other dealerships took me seriously and i saw a few good deals, like a 99 jetta with 43k vr6 which puts out around 200hp, and thats on a car smaller and lighter than ours in stick...mmmmmmm
im pretty sure only the 2003 + VR6 Jettas were available with the 200hp engine. most VR6's are the 174hp ones

1 - 9 of 9 Posts