New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local shop (some know it as Tweeter I know it as Sound Advice...) says that our doors have a little connector in them to let sound go through and that their is no hard cabling going from the door to the front of the car... does anyknow about this?? They say it is a pain in the ass to run new wires because of this...

What I am having them do is run nice big wires to the speakers cuz they have 700 watts to em (Kicker Amp, Boston Acoustic Speakers)

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There is a harness in the door jamb. Only way through that is to drill a hole elsewhere and make your own connection through to the door.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... they say they can run the big cables into the harness... do you think bigger wiring will be a def. increase in SQ??

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
my door have the rubber boots in them...i could if i wanted shove a 12 awg wire through there easily...that i would think would be pleanty big enough for your front stage speakers..i just used the factory wires when i changed mine over but it looks like it shouldnt be too hard to get a wire through the boot...just tape it to a coat hanger and push..the bigger wire will definately help with the sound quality up front..i would go too big though cause it will just defeat the purpose..

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
yes... it does seem like a HUGE PITA! when i was installing my system a month or so ago i was stopped in my tracks when i got to wiring the front speakers. it was under 20degrees out and i didn't feel like drilling any holes at the time so what i did was just take the connectors off of the stock speakers and soldered them onto my new eclipes. then just grabbed my old stereo connector for the speakers (the one that would then wire to the head units speaker imputs) and ran new wire from that back to my amp. granted i am only running 40w rms for the speakers but the stock wiring should be good for MUCH more than that.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
here is a cardomain site that has removed the doors and ran more wire to them, with tons of very good info and advise in it. i dont know, it might help, or it might not. hope it does though.

edit: heres what he says about the door jams. the site has a few pics though too.:
After removing the door, I was able to cut the metal from the car and door to allow the new rubber boot to fit. I also have a 91 LeBaron, which has huge rubber boots. After walking around a junkyard, I found a good set for next to nothing. I undercoated, and painted the newly cut holes. After running the stock wires through the new rubber boot, all of the aftermarket wires were then run. After working in the stereo industry for years....trust me, upgraded multi conductor wire does improve the audio quality. I installed all the cross-overs in the rear of the car, very close to the amps to also improve the audio quality. What I hate is all the work and time I put into the running of the wires, and it looks so stock, no one has ever noticed. I guess in someway that is a compliment. So don't be surprised if someday you see my car and I keep raving about the door jams while you are interested in something else.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i have seen that sight before the guy has done a nice job with his car be nice if he would come online and share some more tips..

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
he's around... you can find him on Keystone from time to time... saw his car in person... mmm yummy

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Why change the wiring? I read a while back the stock wiring was pretty high rated...Do you think there is going to be an actual SQ difference in doing it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
i dont know, i just stuck bout 5 g's in mine using the stock wiring and it sounds damn good to me (and circuit city)...... :shrug:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts