New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much did it cost....is it near how muchit would cost to make a new one....are parts easy to find.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well I guess I'm the only one.:biggrin:

http://www.axs4u.net/home/louiem/

Do a search of my past posts and that tells you all you need to know. If there's anything you don't understand I'll try to clarify.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i did check passed post, but all i got was either people saying that did one or are selling one for 3000 dollars which i dont have. how much did yours cost to make?

·
Registered
832 Posts
The base setup was $800 and was all home-made with junkyard turbo and intercooler. I've since spent another....say $2500 max and that includes another used engine and full exhaust newer intercooler and turbo. The work was done by my dad and I so no labor charges were included.

And do a search of MY posts. Since I am the only Zetec on the boards with a turbo,I've written extensively on the subject.:cool::tongue:

·
Registered
669 Posts
now take it all apart and make a step by step turbo...

i see you've taken a turbo off of a WRX, aren't factory turbos a little on the small side? Or is the one you have not a factory WRX turbo?

Man if I could make mandrel bends, oh man...making my own turbo would be fun.

$800 though, I'm guessing that was $800 wasted since u blew ur engine?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, ultimately it was $315 wasted since that's what my current engine cost me plus another 20 for gas to drive 200mi to pick it up. If I could do it all over again, I'd do only a few things differently.

Why a WRX turbo, well the first turbo I had was a IHI RHB5 that I picked up off Ebay for $100 shipped, first auction I'd ever won and only second one I bid on. I was told the IHI would only do 10psi and I wanted more. I got the WRX cause it looked like it had the same weird flange that the IHI did.

Turns out it's not the same, the furthest hole is just slightly farther away than the IHI. But I already paid $250 shipped so I modified my exhaust manifold by just welding a new flange and cutting the old one. As for size, yes the stock WRX is a bit small but it will flow enough for 200whp easy and can do up to 14psi and is upgradable to 300whp if I take it to a shop. I have 10 psi before 3000rpm and at highway speeds boost is instant. 10psi and a 35 shot is plenty for stock internals, if I do a bottom end build up then I can think about bigger turbo.

You don't need to be able to make mandrel bends. You can order pre mandrel bent pieces online for around $15 for a U-bend 2.25", $16 for 2.5", and $30 for 3". http://www.cartech.net/exhaustparts.htm

As for a step by step, sweet jesus, would you like me to hold your hand and read it aloud to you while I'm at it. Before I turbo'd my car I had almost no serious engine experience. Even though my dad's a mechanic he also had no turbo experience. We surfed the web for months, read every site we could get online, read everything about what Focus's were doing and figured we could do the same.

On the one hand I want to help out and brag about what us two turbo newbies were able to acomplish. Even with a blown engine, another used engine cost me less than a set for forged rods. But I'm not gonna spell it out, and blueprint everything I did with pictures. I mean we were able to do it so, so can you. But after doing your own research and you have some questions you need cleared up or need to know if what worked on a certain honda would work on our engines, ask and if I know the answer I'll let you know.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Originally posted by: Seawulf

As for a step by step, sweet jesus, would you like me to hold your hand and read it aloud to you while I'm at it. Before I turbo'd my car I had almost no serious engine experience. Even though my dad's a mechanic he also had no turbo experience. We surfed the web for months, read every site we could get online, read everything about what Focus's were doing and figured we could do the same.
Yes ;)

Ha, nah I don't expect u to do all that. Yeah I have some general understands and knowledge about turbo but really I don't know how it all works...so yeah, lots of research for me:thumbsup:

If you read so much on focus turbos, why not purchase an aftermarket one? Is that in the plans or did you just think the WRX was better for the money? I'm sure u covered this much so I wont ask too many questions...thats about all I have.:cool:

·
Registered
832 Posts
True the WRX is not ideal for a custom turbo, but it will get the job done. Like I said, I was stuck with that flange because of my first turbo and when I found they weren't the same it was too late to go to something else. Getting them used is cheaper than new and it was low miles. If I could do it over again, I'd get a regular T3 style Garrett, they're cheaper to upgrade.

When I started there was nothing but the Gude kit and the Aerocharger. The Gude kit is crap and no managment and the Aerocharger is "weird" and also has no managment and is limited to 200whp. Both would have required some kind of modification to make it fit from a Focus to a Cougar. That being said, I actually do have the "managment" for the aerocharger and was almost going to install it but finally got to StreetFlight. TurboTom could have done it but I didn't want to spend $5500.

Both kits cost a minimum of $2500 for full hardware and at the time I didn't have $2500 lying around. Bought the IHI for $100, then a junk yard intercooler for $25, then bigger injectors and MAF for $410, then a better turbo for $250, and a better intercooler for $200, then chip $450, then new/used engine $315, plus all the odds and ends along the way.

That's the main reason to do-it-yourself. I bought it a piece at a time put it together, then upgraded a piece at a time.

G

·
Damn seawulf id be lying if i said i wasn't impressed. I'm atually thinking of a custm turbo myself i have a 1990 2.2 turbo probe rotting away at the end of my drive way (since i got my cougar) but it has a perfectly good working engine and turbo....think its a possibility? doing what you did would be ideal but i've heard of using the turbo but having it spun by a rod off one of your pulleys instead so in all actuality it acts like a ram charger rather than a real working turbo what do you think?

·
Registered
832 Posts
No. What you're describing is basically a centrifugal supercharger and if you've read my turbo faq you know how I feel about superchargers. While it would be technically impressive if you made something like that from scatch, you're better of just keeping it a turbo and fabing up something that way.

G

·
Seawulf what size injectors did you run? are they low or high impedance? will ones from a mustang(42lb) or a t bird turbo coupe(35lb) work? also to calibrate a stock mustang maf can you just bore out the sampling hole if so do you know what size? thanks. i am going to be doing my own custom turbo and am collecting parts right now. any spare parts you want to get rid of for a turbo project? thanks justin.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Any Ford RETURNLESS STYLE injectors will work. If they're for a return fuel system I don't think they'll work. I'm running Ford Motorsports 42lb/hr injectors. I got them from Mcnews Automotive, paid like $200 for the 4.

I don't know exactly what about the MAF you're asking, but that's one area I wouldn't skimp on. A lot of the pros recommend the Pro-M MAF I mentioned in the FAQ and I have that as well. But any new 6-wire MAF off of a Mustang GT, Cobra, or Lightning should work OK, but you'll need custom chip programing, they're not plug and play.

No spares to sell, sorry.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Is that a MAF for a V8? If so then it's probably too big. Remember the V8 has twice as many injectors as our I4s.

G

·
ya but a 70mm maf is also for v8's and so are 58mm wich are stock on a 5.0l mustang and they have 19pound injectors stock i thknk it willl work.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The problem is you're chosing a MAF that is sized way bigger than stock with injectors way bigger than stock. A 70MM MAF calibrated for 42lb injectors for a 4cyl is roughly equal to a 70mm MAF calibrated for 30lb injectors for a Cobra. So by getting a 80MM for 42s, that's throwing the MAF transfer function even more off. On my MAF I see around 3.4v at WOT under full boost. On that 80MM I'd probably see under 3v. It will make tuning a chip a little more complicated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts