New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey lads,

I need tires, and my dad unfortunately isn't around to help me choose and work my way through this purchase. I'm looking for 225 / 45 /17s. summers are fine, I don't need all-seasons since we switch to winters by law here. I was looking at Firehawk indy 500s or at Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs. I also looked at Kuhmo Ecsta PA51s, but my guy doesn't have them in stock right now.

I'm not going to be tracking it (...), but it will see spirited driving as well as a lot of highway. should I grab Indy 500s, or Yokohamas?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Those are two vastly different kinds of tires, so the choice should be easy, depending on what you use the car for.

Those Yokohamas are designed for quiet comfort on long highway trips, and have a 740 UTQG and a 65,000 mile warranty. Less cornering grip, but great for GRAND TOURING, and last forever.

The Firestones are a much more sporting tire, with a 340 UTQG. No warranty was expressed, but I'd expect those to be more in the 35,000 mile range. Probably noisy on the highway, but way more sticky in the corners and quicker wear.

For context, the stickest tire allowed in SCCA Street classes is a 200 UTQG. That includes stuff like the Bridgestone RE-71R, the BFGoodrich Rival, and the Dunlop Direzza. They wear VERY fast, so they aren't good for daily drivers - but they stick like crazy.

For daily driver duty, I personally like to find something in the 300-350 range. I need my grip.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. thanks for your input. it's reassuring to have your opinion reinforced. I'm getting Yokohamas; that 'no mileage' warranty thing on the Indy500s drove the point home that they're probably not particularly meant for what I want to do with them. I have the probe for spirited shenanigans, And the cougar is coming with me for university, so it's with me for a long time still.

Thanks, Andy!

·
Super Moderator
22,044 Posts
like andy said, it all depends on how much you are going to drive the car. I have a 10 minute drive to work so on Goldie and the Race Car i have Kumho V720, which have a 200 tread. they are awesome tires, but if i still had my 30 mile commute i wouldnt get them. I use them as my rain tires for autox events and they have done really well.

look to see if they are unidirectional as well.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Tireracks website is awesome for researching and comparing tires.
Once you've got a good idea of what you want, check ebay as well. I've found some amazing deals on tires on ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts