New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad has a 99 cougar with 2.5l duratec motor. It sounded like some noise was coming for the front cover timing chain area. Car still ran great with 29mpg. We tore it all down, everything looked fine yet we changed the oil pump and timing tensioners. The motor was TDC in time when I tore it apart. Put the motor back in time and put it back together and it's lacking compression. I realize it's still out of time, but I can't figure what I did wrong. I have the updated manual for the new timing procedures.
cyc 1 45psi cyc 2 90psi cyc 3 45psi after compression test.
cyc 4 45psi cyc 5 140psi cyc 6 90 psi

no valves look to be bent from examining them while I hand crank the motor over.

I worked at a mustang race shop for 3 years and timed many 4.6L 2v and 4v motors, so i'm mechanically inclined. I've had 2 ford techs here, and 3 other mechanics. Everyone agrees it seems to be in time as of the specs of the procedures.
Hopefully someone here can help me.

·
8,492 Posts
The 2.5 Duratec is known for a tapping noise at idle in the top end - it's the hydraulic lash adjusters. It's one of those things that it's not supposed to do, but they all do it, and it's not really hurting anything. I wonder if that's the noise you heard.

No idea on why you don't have compression now, though. Definitely something wacky going on there.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
There was an issue on the 99s with the timing marks on the cam sprockets being in the wrong place.

Article No.
98-25-14 12/21/98
ENGINE - TIMING ARROWS/FLAGS ON CAMSHAFT
SPROCKETS MIS-MARKED - 2.5L V6 DURATEC
ENGINES ONLY FORD:
1996-98 CONTOUR, TAURUS LINCOLN-MERCURY:
1996-98 MYSTIQUE, SABLE
1999 COUGAR ISSUE
The timing arrows/flags on the back of the camshaft sprocket(s) are mis-marked by as much as 30 degrees rotation. The arrows or flags should not be used for engine service procedures, including timing diagnostics. The existing Service/Workshop Manual timing procedures are inaccurate. ACTION
A timing check procedure has been developed, ignoring the arrows or flags on the rear side of the camshaft sprockets. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details. SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE THE 2.5L/3.0L DURATEC ENGINES ARE NOT "FREE-WHEELING." AN ERROR IN TIMING CHAIN INSTALLATION MAY RESULT IN SEVERE VALVE/PISTON DAMAGE. USE EXTREME CARE DURING TIMING CHAIN INSTALLATION. REVISED CAMSHAFT TIMING DIAGNOSTIC CHECK
This procedure is in addition to the existing Service/Workshop Manual timing chain installation procedure. Any reference to the rear timing flags in the Service/Workshop Manual procedure should be ignored.
To check for proper camshaft timing without engine front cover removal, use the following procedure:
All checks are performed with the crankshaft at Top Dead Center (TDC) # 1, compression stroke.
1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the notch on the crankshaft damper aligns with the TDO pointer on the engine front cover. This places the crankshaft at top dead center, cylinder number one. Rotate the crankshaft an additional full turn if the timing marks on the front of the camshafts are not above the top edge of the engine front cover. When the damper notch is aligned with the TDC pointer, and all of the camshaft front timing marks are above the top edge of the engine front cover, cylinder number one is on the compression stroke. Ignore the timing flags on the rear of the camshaft sprockets.
2. To check camshaft timing you must count the number of timing chain links between the camshaft front timing marks and the top edge of the engine front cover. Refer to Figure 1. Ignore the timing flags on the rear of the camshaft sprockets. TIMING CHECK WITH FRONT COVER REMOVED
To check for proper camshaft timing during timing chain installation with the engine front cover removed, use the following procedure:
1. To place the crankshaft at TDC Cylinder # 1, compression stroke, rotate the crankshaft clockwise and place the crankshaft keyway at the 11 o'clock position. Rotate the crankshaft an additional full turn if the front camshaft timing marks are not on the top side of the camshaft sprockets.
2. To check camshaft timing you must count the number of timing chain links between the camshaft front timing marks, and the timing marks on the crankshaft sprockets. Refer to Figure 2. Ignore the timing flags on the rear of the camshaft sprockets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B3NN3T, thanks for the advice, I believe that is the same update I have, it has 2 diagrams with it. 10 links between the marks on the camshafts, etc. This car is driving me crazy. I did find an update that gives you the exact degrees the marks need to be at. busting out the protractor tomm.

Skater, I believe that was the noise, I just didn't get to hear the car before my dad started tearing into it. The noise did go away when he drained a quart of oil and added a quart of lucas stabilizer before he left for florida, then came back after the 1000 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
how did i miss this.... this is the reason my car is all messed up right now, bennett is there a chance of engine damage from this issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i re-timed it again, not the greatest compression though. I figured with no oil in the cylinders, since the car had the valve covers and timing cover off while I was checking compression it might be a little low on compression. . I got fed up with it, put it all back together and it runs great with no noise. All I actually changed was the oil pump and tensioners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
B3NN3T, thanks for the advice, I believe that is the same update I have, it has 2 diagrams with it. 10 links between the marks on the camshafts, etc. This car is driving me crazy. I did find an update that gives you the exact degrees the marks need to be at. busting out the protractor tomm.

Skater, I believe that was the noise, I just didn't get to hear the car before my dad started tearing into it. The noise did go away when he drained a quart of oil and added a quart of lucas stabilizer before he left for florida, then came back after the 1000 mile trip.
Did it go away for good after the lucas? Or did you do anything else?

·
8,492 Posts
Ten year old thread...Stolen 50 hasn't logged in since March, 2010... You're probably not going to get an answer from him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts