New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many imports, ie Honda and the ilk, need to have the timing belt replaced every 100 k or there abouts.

I have a 1999 2.5l V6 Cougar. Does it have a rubberized timing belt or a metal like timing chain ?? Does it have to be replaced at specific intervals or is it a life time ( whatever that is ) design ???

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
v6 has a timing chain, im not sure when It is to be replaced, should say in the manual. I know the i4 has a timing belt.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had a 98 Eleantra...the timing belt went at 97,000 miles...I had the appointment schedualed to get it changed...well yea the car never made it to the appointment...the belt went and took out the engine...the garage that my parents have always taken our cars to said that said probably should have been changed at around 50,000. With a timing chain you don't have to worry about it breaking...maybe stretching and causing the timing to change slightly. Just check out the owers manual and you will find out what you need.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you don't notice any problems, don't worry about messing with your timing chain. That was the consensus when I asked this question before. Basically, you have to take too much stuff apart to get to the timing chain than what it is worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.