New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s a great idea, but how can I get to underneath the manifold covers. The covers themselves are riveted together.
they're not likely to leak from there but you could always use a long hose to listen for the tick source, or get a sthetoscope from HF, same principle..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
they're not likely to leak from there but you could always use a long hose to listen for the tick source, or get a sthetoscope from HF, same principle..
I was under the car today, and got this Video of the tick, it sounds like it’s coming from the back exhaust manifold towards the top (under the metal covers)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was under the car today, and got this Video of the tick, it sounds like it’s coming from the back exhaust manifold towards the top (under the metal covers)
that's a good one, do not discard metal to metal contact, you could also check the o2 sensor, egr tube nut on exhaust manifold, or high temp silicone hoses from egr tube to dpfe. But definetly check also with a hose or sthetoscope, engine noises can bounce everywhere and get you confuse on the source, ask me how I know! xD

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
that's a good one, do not discard metal to metal contact, you could also check the o2 sensor, egr tube nut on exhaust manifold, or high temp silicone hoses from egr tube to dpfe. But definetly check also with a hose or sthetoscope, engine noises can bounce everywhere and get you confuse on the source, ask me how I know! xD
I’ll check again tomorrow, but it’s on the other side not by the egr valve.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
here’s an imgur album with some pictures of what I saw under there today with descriptions, note the backed out bolt for a bracket on the sub frame, is that going to cause problems? But with the metal covers on I can’t find any noticeable soot, but the sound is coming from towards the top of the aft exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you're gonna need to jack the engine a little bit to align that support and allow bolt to thread in.
If you are sure the leak is on the manifold, you could confirm with an obd2 scanner, check your bank 1 fuel trims, they should be high on that bank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
you're gonna need to jack the engine a little bit to align that support and allow bolt to thread in.
If you are sure the leak is on the manifold, you could confirm with an obd2 scanner, check your bank 1 fuel trims, they should be high on that bank.
Went ahead and checked out my fuel trims this morning, both banks seemed consistent with each other. Both went from +\- 5 at the same time.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
You cant take the heat shields off in-place, not worth trying. Its also highly unlikely there would be any leaks under the heat shields.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts