New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had this on and off clicking noise coming from the rear passenger side of the engine. Video here
I’ve tried the mechanics stethoscope, and similar tests, and couldn’t locate anything that when I touched would be louder. When cold it doesn’t tick, but after about 5-6 minutes it starts quietly then gets louder. I can replicate the conditions when:

•engine is in drive
•AC 100%
•engine is in neutral and rpms <2000

will not produce sound when:
•engine is cold
•engine is parked no load
•engine is in neutral and not revved.

I have removed the serpentine belt and have been able to replicate the sound. I have changed the spark plugs as well, and the problem persists.

It may also be noted that this problem happens for on and off a month give or take.

I will do my best to carry out any troubleshooting steps anybody has in a timely manner to help others who may have this problem!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like rod bearings. Look at the other post about knocking noises and see how similar his video is to yours.
I took a look at those threads, the ticking doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the engine. I can’t isolate any cylinders that when they are unplugged the sound goes away. It gets louder in the wheel well area, but that could be the shape making the sound louder.

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Pull the spark plug wire for each of those cylinders, one at a time, while it's doing it. If the noise stops it's probably piston/bearing related. If not, then it might be lifter/follower noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the spark plug wire for each of those cylinders, one at a time, while it's doing it. If the noise stops it's probably piston/bearing related. If not, then it might be lifter/follower noise.
Went ahead and tried that, tic was prevalent when I pulled each one, what can I do to isolate a lifter/follower noise. Before my last oil change I tried putting in thick oil stabilizer as suggested by a similar thread and it still didn’t work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I may get flamed for posting this but I've always had great results with Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) or similar, especially with hydraulic lifters. I think both engines use hydraulic lifters. I've noticed what I think is a ticking lifter(s) on my car. Once I get it running right, MMO is going in the crankcase with the oil change. And Seafoam in the tank. :)

BTW I always thought MMO and similar was snake oil until a stealership mechanic tried it in the old 300ZX I owned several years back. The lifters would occasionally clatter so badly I thought they'd shoot out of the valve covers. I took it in for diagnosis. After dropping the pan and checking the pump intake, which was fine, the mechanic added MMO. You could quite literally observe the car run increasingly quieter in the driveway.

What oil stabilizer did you use?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may get flamed for posting this but I've always had great results with Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) or similar, especially with hydraulic lifters. I think both engines use hydraulic lifters. I've noticed what I think is a ticking lifter(s) on my car. Once I get it running right, MMO is going in the crankcase with the oil change. And Seafoam in the tank. :)

BTW I always thought MMO and similar was snake oil until a stealership mechanic tried it in the old 300ZX I owned several years back. The lifters would occasionally clatter so badly I thought they'd shoot out of the valve covers. I took it in for diagnosis. After dropping the pan and checking the pump intake, which was fine, the mechanic added MMO. You could quite literally observe the car run increasingly quieter in the driveway.

What oil stabilizer did you use?
I used Lucas oil stabilizer, stuffs thick like honey, I’ll try out mmo next.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you think it's the lifters, it's probably because they've become blocked over time and probably some neglected oil changes. I've never used that product but doubtful it would help with noisy lifters. Then again, MMO may not, but I think it's a much better option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you think it's the lifters, it's probably because they've become blocked over time and probably some neglected oil changes. I've never used that product but doubtful it would help with noisy lifters. Then again, MMO may not, but I think it's a much better option.
Went ahead and tried that stuff out this morning, 20% of oil with the fluid. Almost immediately it made it worse :( it’s never ticked in park unless the ac is on and not the moment I turn it on to when I turn it off it does it. Rip

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well it does sound lifter related. So you used a whole quart of MMO? I'd say give it time and let it idle until fully warm...maybe 30 minutes. Then a slow drive. You can short change the oil at half interval. If the lifter oil passages are in fact gummed up, it won't be an instant fix.

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Yeah, just drive it, see if it gets better. Ticky lifters aren't going to destroy anything unless you hammer on it for a LONG TIME.

·
Registered
16 Posts
are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the timing cover area? have you tried listening from below the car? if it is from the timing cover area, it might be the chain hitting a guide, probably a broken one. First make sure your oil pressure sensor is connected correctly, if your oil light is not coming on, we could discard low pressure. Still you can add a little bit of oil thickener like lucas while noise is present, if noise doesn't improve than, you'll have to remove either the rear or front valve cover to confirm timing chain slack. If so, new timing kit will have to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the timing cover area? have you tried listening from below the car? if it is from the timing cover area, it might be the chain hitting a guide, probably a broken one. First make sure your oil pressure sensor is connected correctly, if your oil light is not coming on, we could discard low pressure. Still you can add a little bit of oil thickener like lucas while noise is present, if noise doesn't improve than, you'll have to remove either the rear or front valve cover to confirm timing chain slack. If so, new timing kit will have to be.
Im pretty positive it’s an exhaust leak on my headers now. I’m getting a jack today to take a look, any tips for checking that out?

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Good thought. You can often see black soot on the head around the primary flange where the leak is. If you can safely get your hand up there while the engine is running, it's easy to feel the air pulses, too. Might be easy to feel around back there from under the hood instead of under the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
btw use jack stands or at least throw a wheel under the car for safety. you never know when a jack will let go...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would sure love too! But I can’t get that cover off the headers/manifold :/
I once saw on youtube a guy put a vacuum on reverse ducktaped to the tail pipe, while it was on, he would feel with his hand all over the exhaust system feeling for air streams...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I once saw on youtube a guy put a vacuum on reverse ducktaped to the tail pipe, while it was on, he would feel with his hand all over the exhaust system feeling for air streams...
That’s a great idea, but how can I get to underneath the manifold covers. The covers themselves are riveted together.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts