New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i got pulled over for doing 89 in a 55, does anyone know how often state troopers have to test their radar guns? i thought it was like once a month or sooner, just trying to see if i can get the ticket lowered so i don't get 5 points on my license, cause that would suck, the gun was last tested in september, anyone has any tips let me know.

·
Registered
335 Posts
tips: don't speed unless you know you aren't gonna get caught. if the cop caught you goin that fast with his radar, too bad for you. your only hope is to plead not guilty and hope the cop doesn't show up for court. not to sound mean or anything, but you deserve what you get.

-Eric

G

·
Originally posted by: bova80
ok, i got pulled over for doing 89 in a 55, does anyone know how often state troopers have to test their radar guns? i thought it was like once a month or sooner, just trying to see if i can get the ticket lowered so i don't get 5 points on my license, cause that would suck, the gun was last tested in september, anyone has any tips let me know.
If the ticket says the last time the gun was tested in September you may be able to get the ticket lowered.

Id rather tell you how in a PM....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry buddy, but radar guns, lasers, and speedometers are only required to be tested every six months. There's different ways you can get out of this ticket or at least reduced. However, there are too many different variables to be able to post on here. Do you know if 55 is the maximum speed limit or the basic speed law? There's a difference. If it's the basic speed law then it means that 55 is the suggested speed limit and as long as you can prove that it was safe for you to be going 89 mph (unlikely), you can get out of it. But you can contest the accuracy of the radar and get it reduced to 75 mph and then contest that it was safe. But I agree, you should get what you deserve. If you were putting peoples lives in danger, then you should be cited. However, if you were cruising down the highway with little to no traffic, you shouldn't be cited. Good luck.:wave:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
the gun said you were going 89 in a 55...

WERE you going 89 in a 55???
if you were... man, thats your OWN fault, and you should get whats comin to ya...

if you were doing 55 like the posted legal speedlimit said ... then yeah, his radar is messed up and you should check into it, but ONLY if you honest to god, weren't speeding.

·
Um...
3,283 Posts
Yeah, I gotta agree with Matt... if you know you were going 89 in a 50... then why fight it? Take responsibility for your actions.

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
ask for a trial by jury. most times they will throw it out so they go have to go through the hassle. u might luck out

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
hahah, yeah buff, or they could GO through with it... call in a jury... which will be full of angry people who've been forced to take time off work because some idiot was speeding. in which case he would be screwed anyway :tongue:

Glad we think alike Regan :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
are you guys crazy? definitely fight it! some people on here have gotten out of some wacky situations by going to court and defending their actions. trust me.

Mike

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: coolcatstrut
Sorry buddy, but radar guns, lasers, and speedometers are only required to be tested every six months. There's different ways you can get out of this ticket or at least reduced. However, there are too many different variables to be able to post on here. Do you know if 55 is the maximum speed limit or the basic speed law? There's a difference. If it's the basic speed law then it means that 55 is the suggested speed limit and as long as you can prove that it was safe for you to be going 89 mph (unlikely), you can get out of it. But you can contest the accuracy of the radar and get it reduced to 75 mph and then contest that it was safe. But I agree, you should get what you deserve. If you were putting peoples lives in danger, then you should be cited. However, if you were cruising down the highway with little to no traffic, you shouldn't be cited. Good luck.:wave:
Depends on the state for the testing requirements.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I got a ticket for doing 106 in my rig in a 100 zone, with my jake brake on, going down a hill. About a 4 mile straight stretch, nobody on the road. I couldn't get that thrown out, so I wish you luck!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Originally posted by: PGCougar
I got a ticket for doing 106 in my rig in a 100 zone, with my jake brake on, going down a hill. About a 4 mile straight stretch, nobody on the road. I couldn't get that thrown out, so I wish you luck!
where the heck is there a 100 mph speed zone?! u must be talking kms....100 mph limit would rock tho

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not even a badge would get you outta that ticket. A guy that I used to work with once got pulled in Ohio I think for doing like 100+ on the highway and still was writ after showing his button. He just manned-up and paid his fine. I agree that unless it was a clear road w/ no traffic you shouldn't have been going that fast. I speed, but rarely that fast. Maybe this was just a good lesson so you stay out of speeding trouble in the future. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts