New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys its been a while since ive talked with yall but i have a new issue that has arrived. The clutch is starting to get old and i can tell its not grabbing the same but im concerned with the thud when i start the car up. Obv we have the clutch “safety” to start the car up but when I release the clutch it thuds if I release rather quickly. I am i neutral and always make sure to so im not sure if its. Just from age or im letting to much load onto the clutch. Was hoping for some advice or the knowledge that its normal

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Not normal.
Master cylinder maybe?
Also, dummy check your brake fluid.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake fluid it always topped off same with power steering i keep an eye on all my fluids.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I would guess some sort of problem inside the transaxle. When you release the clutch, the input shaft is instantly spinning at engine rpm. Maybe you have a bad input shaft bearing, and it’s gotten sloppy. Hard to say without hearing it firsthand.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp just tried somthing out. I found out that if i press in the clutch and release it over and over after start up the rpms drop each time getting a tiny bit lower and a tiny bit lower. Never drops enough to kill the car but still does it strangest thing ive ever seen/heard.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car also acts like its still in gear when i release the clutch it wants to move just a little bit forward even though i know its out of gear

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
See that sounds like you're losing hydraulic pressure. Can you see any fluid leaking from the bottom of the transaxle, where it meets the oil pan? Is your brake fluid level a little low? I'm thinking that is a slave cylinder with a leak. A leaky master cylinder will drip in the floorboard on your feet, but those are less prone to fail than those slave cylinders.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There is a power steering leak so there’s fluid all over on the right side so I couldn’t tell which fluid is which I always keep it topped off and it never really seems to grind. So I can never tell if it’s power steering fluid that’s leaking onto the bottom of the oil pan or that

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Brake fluid it always topped off same with power steering i keep an eye on all my fluids.
Topped off...How much are you topping off? Anything more than zero means its leaking somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts