New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where there is a how-to for the Throttle Hang fix. I've searched the boards and checked out the Contour site (which is down) and can't find it. Any one got a link...or know's how to do it.

·
Banned
317 Posts
you are restricting an air bypass hose, the air that goes into your engine when you stomp on the gas comes through the throttle body.

·
Administrator
24,546 Posts
I speculated that throttle hang was a device that made the manual transmission a little easier to drive for folks who weren't used to one. Being that the l4 was only available with the MTX, and such a large percentage of the V6's were as well, Mercurey wanted to keep it from being an awkward transition for those migrating from automatics-ville.

Just my 2¢. I really have no idea.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is a by product from something wrong with the car. I had my car for 2 years before it had the Trottle Hang problem. So unless I bought it broke from the factory. I do not think Mercury wanted it to happen. Currently my car does it when it wants to.

·
Banned
317 Posts
you put in the clutch and the rpm's dont fall right away.

the "fix" may cause more problems than it's worth though... i had to take it out when the weather got warm because i had a lot of unburnt fuel being ignited in my exhaust.

once it gets cold again i'll probably put it back in.

G

·
I have an ATX and have the same throttle hang problem. If I accelerate quickly then take my foot off the gas the RPMs remain high for a good 2 seconds or so before dropping down. I have recently done the TH fix with a copper cap from Home Depot. The hole isn't exactly 7/32nd (I think that's the size) but it seems to be doing the job. Shifting is a little rough in the lower gears, but at the top end the RPMs drop really fast when I take my foot off the gas.

I may try the next size bit to see if that improves the flow without losing the "fix."

·
Registered
507 Posts
when I did that, it sort a screw up my idle when A/C was on

G

·
It's not really a need. It's just that when I accelerate and then have to slow down all of a sudden, the engine stay revved really high and sounds really funky when it shifts. Also, with the same situation when the care down shifts it rocks forward and makes me feel like I just got out of driving school.

I guess it's more personal preference on my end.

G

·
Nah, the fix is really easy. $0.32 for the copper cap. 7/32" drill bit. Pop open the tube, drop the cap. You're good to go. The air tube is held on by one of the funny clamps that you turn the screw and it loosens and tightens. It took me longer to find the copper cap in the Home Depot than it did for me to drill the hole and install it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Beware....the so-called "fix" causes many negative side effects. Please do a Search first on Throttle Hang or TH Fix to get the full background on the issue. It has been discussed quite extensively.

Hope you guys reconsider....there are more worthwhile mods out there. ;)

G

·
I have yet to find any negative affects to the TH fix I have done. I do agree that it has been discussed extensively. You should always do reading on a mod before you do it. :) I don't think there is any cheaper of a mod though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts