New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I would find out if my cougar has the throttle hang problem? I saw the how to, but I am not precisely sure if I need to do it. I have a MTX V6 if that helps determine anything.

Thanks,
Diesel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James,

I understand that the How To describes how to fix the problem...what I want to know is, what exactly happens when you have the throttle hang problem or does it afflict all the 1999+ cougars.

Diesel

·
Banned
317 Posts
Basically what happens is that your rpm's drop very slowly when you let off of the gas. This is not the "norm" with most mtx cars. My guess is that in an effort to keep emissions of unspent fuel lower Ford "Over-engineered" the bypass air supply hose. It bypasses the throttle body and supplies air for idling. Think if you will... you have open throttle body... engine movin... all of a sudden you close the tb, and the air supply is just cut off. There's still unspent fuel in the combustion chambers that needs air to combust efficiently. This air is supplied through the bypass hose. All the throttle hang fix does is decrease the flow bypass hose by adding a restrictor (in the form of the drilled copper cap). I personally like the way car shifts better with it installed, and i would recommend you try it and see if you do. If not it's really easy to remove.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
James, does this install also lower the RPM's during idle? Possibly causing the engine to stall?

·
Banned
317 Posts
That has happened in one or two cases that i've heard of. You can try resetting the ecu (just pull off the + on the battery for a few minutes) or make the hole in the restrictor plate (copper cap) a little bigger to allow more air through.

I have no problems with my idle and I did not have to reset the ECU. That is the most common case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the TH FIX and, mine idles fine, only thing is i live in michigan and it's FREAKIN cold and when u 1st start it u have to give it alittle gas to keep the rpms up for a few seconds to warm it up... if u dont most of the time it stalls... But to tell u the truth i hate it with out the TH fix cuz when u start it normally it rev's so high at the 1st start it pisses me off take forever to come down.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Thank you James and Xrumer. That is what I wanted to hear. I am going to do the mod this week or weekend.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have one more question before I do this. What exactly are the benefits of having this done? I understand what it does, but as a daily driver and weekend street racer, what will this do for me? How does it shift better?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ya search the boards. If I recall correctly, there was more bad then good about it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I searched the boards for the goods and the bads. There is no bad. They were saying that the engine could suck oil and crap in the combustion chamber, but that is only if the half inch copper restrictor doesn't have a hole in it. I don't really understand the good in it. What does lowering the RPMs quicker do? Anyway, there is no bad if you read the instructions and follow them correctly from what I have gathered since my search.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Blackcoog, Have you fully read the thread entitled, "Correct Throttle Hang Mod"?? I have done my research. It names one thing in perticular that is bad to our Duratecs, but it also is questionable.

"If the engine's Plan B is removed, it resorts to Plan C: Sucking oil & crankcase vapors into the combustion chamber past the valves and rings in an effort to fill the cylinders on the intake stroke. Without an air source, a vacuum is created, and nature abhores a vacuum. So oil sucks in through the PCV valve, valve seals, and rings. The result is a fouled intake (when we already have a fouling problem to begin with), and worn rings, seals, and seats. "

That is a direct quote. Notice the words " with out an air source". That is assuming that there is no air source going to the intake when the throttle is let off when all this sucking of oil vapors and crap happens. But with the throttle hang mod done correctly there is an air source. It may be smaller or less than factory, but there is still air going in. Please go through the thread and read it from top to bottom. Pay careful attention to what DanG, PuckPuck, and FastCougar have to say. They are all reputable moderators and know what they are talking about. Do this and then if you want to come back on and tell me that I have mistaken, go right ahead.

Peace

·
Banned
317 Posts
the advantage is the way that your car shifts.... you can rev your engine and not have it hang (and make a TON of stupid sounding noise if you have an exhaust). And shifts are less jerky.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
James,
Thank you for all the insight through out this thread. I myself did the throttle hang fix a few mintues ago. It took all of 5 minutes to complete. Right now I am just waiting, with the battery disconnected, for the ECU to reset. Thanks again.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,864 Posts
Ok! You are still mistaken! (I have been on quite a bit longer then you and I listened to the whole post). The throttle hang in no way entails you to put in a cap with no hole in it. Dan was referring to the air source being diminished not totally stopped. Of course it will phuck it up if you block the pipe. I did go back and read it and I still see it this way. Read the entire post on it again and if you still don't believe me then leave it in it is your choice I will not make anyone take it out. I am just stating my opinion.

Later,
Chris

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The good and bad that I experienced.

Good: RPMs dropped down quicker, shifting seemed slightly crisper because of it.

Bad: That only worked for a few weeks, after that the engine seemed to "learn" the fix and over ride it.
Black smoke puffs out of tail pipe at WOT.
Fuel Sender Circuit failure.

All the bad went away as soon as I took out my fix...I will never put it back in again.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Blackcoog, I read it several times before replying to the thread, soaking up every bit of info there was. I guess you are agreeing with DanG, because he doesn't believe that the mod is good. And I am agreeing with FastCougar and PuckPuck, because they are saying what I want to hear. So let's just leave it at that- a difference in opinions. I did the mod last night and if I have any problems over the next few weeks like Fett had then I will post it and agree with you. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts