New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
VERY different.

Stock is like 58-60mm (not sure on exact number)
SVT is 63mm

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
:disgust:

I was right about it being different though..:flushed:

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Is the ATX throttle body actuator arranged to pull from below the axis?

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Nope. Found a good photo on ebay

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
it is my understanding though that the shape of the lobe of the cable attachment is different to make up for the difference in the power curve of the mtx vs atx. ive never had them side by side to compare though
The throttle cable cam wheel primarily affects power delivery in relation to the throttle pedal, the SVTs & ATXs have a unique cam wheel that's more direct than the non SVT MTXs, so you get better throttle response with the SVT/ATX and furthers the feeling of more power between driving the SVT & non. The non-SVT MTXs have a throttle cam wheel more conventional to what 80s Ford EFIs had, where pedal sensitivity increases about half throttle so anywhere below that has less throttle response and more manageable fuel economy. One cam wheel doesn't have more power than the other but how you access it is certainly dictated this way like I described. Tomorrow I'll actually have them all side by side to better show what I'm talking about if it sounds like hoopla - I promise it's not haha

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
As promised!
These 3 throttle bodies are all 2.5s:
Largest with the full shaft is the SVT
One with the half shaft is the 2.5 ATX
One on the car is the 2.5 MTX (sorry I couldn't remove it for a better photo)

You can see the SVT is the odd one out casted strangely (round part of housing is on top instead of bottom) and its throttle cam wheel turns the opposite direction.
The 2.5 ATX is similar in the fact that its throttle cam wheel is also directly on the shaft.
The 2.5 MTX is most similar to the ATX in regards to the bore & entire housing but the fact that is has a "progressive" style throttle wheel cam instead of a direct setup is unique - this is quite common among 80s EFI Fords, makes for good fuel economy/control below half throttle then becomes sensitive above half throttle though this all comes at the cost of overall (or at least low throttle) throttle response.

Looking at these I'm no longer tempted to do the SVT TB swap as the benefits are much smaller than the labor of parts sourcing and retrofitting & installation.

What I am considering though is making my current MTX TB direct-acting, right now the throttle cam wheel that the cable pulls is slopped out pretty bad (like most get) which makes my throttle response even worse (and inconsistent) and it doesn't seem to be opening the actual throttle cam wheel all the way due to the initial wheel's play (like trying to shift with worn out shifter bushings if that helps paint the picture). So my permanent solution would be to weld my initial cam wheel to the actual one as long as the geometry is correct so I don't even have to change the cables, mounting bracket, etc. If I don't like how that feels, works, or performs I'll continue using stock and insert a bushing at the least to get rid of the immense throttle play.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts