New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throttle cable came off

EDIT: I deleted my other thread, its not the pedal sticking.

It looks like the cable from the TB to the thingy that moves back and forth (right by where the cable comes out form the pedal) is gone, or at least not attached.

I took a look, and couldn't initally see the cable to reattach it. After the car cools off some, I'll go back out and see if I can find it/fix it.

If not, take it to the dealer I got it from, since I have a 15 Day/500 mile warranty.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Throttle cable came off

Well, now I'm not 100% sure whats up.

The gas pedal feels "dead" (no resistance) up to about 90% "open". Then in that final 10% it gets SOME opening.

So I took the airbox, MAF, accordian tube off back to the TB so I could see the butterfly on the TB. When I move that lever next to the TB for that 90%, the butterfly doesn't open at all. Then that last 10%, the butterfly opens slightly.

Is there supposed to be a cable attached to the bottom "ear" on that spring thing? It looks like something is supposed to be hooked there, but there isn't anything.

If someone could post a close up pic of what the TB/Spring thingy is SUPPOSED to look like, I could probably better point at whats missing. I would take a pic, but you guys have seen how [censored]ty my camera is. Theres no way it would take a good enough pic to show what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Ok, look where your cable meets the TB. There is a dual-spring actuator on the side of the TB. The cable attaches to one, and that one attaches to the second spring by a plastic figure 8. The figure 8 clip looks like one link from a large bike chain....if you can picture that. Again, you should see it in two halfs because it is broken. One half will be attached to one spring, the other attached to the second spring.

The moment you see it, you should see exactly what I am talking about....and what you need to do.

Remove your TB and remove the retainer clips holding the 8 clip on. DO NOT LOSE THOSE CLIPS!! Once you remove the 8, go to Home Depot or Lowes and look in their hardware section, they sell chain links. They have one that is the same exact size as the broken one that you brought with you. Buy the link, go home and remove the connector pins that hold both sides of the link together, now you should have a metal figure 8 that is the same size as the broken one.

Now put that on and drive away. :)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Here is a picture of what you are looking for, but I am willing to bet your clip is actually broken in half.

Also, here is a thread dealing with the same issue....

DAMN PLASTIC TB PARTS!

The only thing he did diffrently was he made his clip, where as I bought a link of chain from Home Depot to fix mine.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I had my friend who is a tech at a Dodge dealer come look, and he knew exactly what was wrong, and got it off. I have the peice with me now.

It looks EXACTLY like the one in the pic you posted. Its not broken in half, its broke exactly how that one is.

I'm gonna have my grandpa make one in the morning out of metal/aluminum.

Thanks for the help Fett!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same problem i went to the ford dealership across the street and the jerk in the parts dept. told me to either find the piece in a junk yard (i called every junk yard in miami no luck) or buy a new throttle body $160. i also tried looking for a 626 throttle body also none to be found. so i made a new piece with a dremel and a thick piece of aluminum. mostly i was super pissed that ford will not sell the plastic piece that would take 5 min to fix so to ford i say screw you!

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy bumping threads, Batman!

lol, j/k man. Yeah I think its dumb that Ford won't sell that piece by itself. But then again, I also think its extremely dumb they made it out of plastic in the first place. Thanks, Ford!! (bunch of f***ing........)

Hey, you said something about the "626 TB". Whats that all about? I thought everyone would go for the CSVT TB?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told at ford my best bet to find the plastic piece at a junk yard was in a 98and up mazda 626. i think it was a wild goose chase b/c I was bugging the sh*t out of the parts manager, i live right across the street form a ford dealer so every time the car burps i'm all up in the service dept. trying to get answers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.