New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving down the road and I look down.....blinking CEL (**** I think) I turn off the radio and I hear what sounds like someone is taking a hammer to the block. I pull over immediately and think......spun bearing, broken wrist pin, rod knock.......I check the oil, feel the heads, look for holes, smell the oil, call some people, and pulled the spark plugs. I did a compression test in the Kroger parking lot in Mansfield, everything came up fine. My dad came up with the idea of me kick starting.....so I did, and the sound went away!! So basically my starter got stuck partially engaged and was banging on the flywheel. I now need a new starter, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new engine though. That really woulda sucked because I'm 200 some miles away from "home".

The starter is below the fuel lines right? I was looking and think that's it. It should be cake to replace as soon as I drop the 169 for a new starter :mad:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Dude that sucks. I can totally feel your pain of out of town repairs! Nothing ever breaks in my driveway. Its always on a road trip. Are you near Cleveland at all? If so just call me and I'm there with tools and assistance...and beer if need be.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, in mansfiled....like an hour away. I am gonna try to wait and hopefully do it when I get back, I have no money right now....if I do kickstarts then it wolnt f up the flywheel that much and I should be ok....just annoyed

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I am 50 minutes from Mansfield. Contact John Mambourg. He lives there. I'll PM his cellie and mine. Lemme know cuz I gots no plans today for the most part. Gotta be back here tomorrow though.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
wow, that sucks john. where are you staying? if you need a place or anything, my dad will be driving past mansfield today to take my sis to cleveland, and he would gladly pick you up if you need a place to stay. but he is leaving here at like 5 i think. but let me know. also, if you need any tools or anything, he can bring you those as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the problem hasnt happened since.....maybe I'm toying with death not replacing the starter but we'll see how it goes. I'm planning on replacing it when I get back in cincinnati. Since the weather warmed up I'm having no problems what so ever starting, I guess it just hates the cold. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts