New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who fixed the problem and didn't have the problem reoccur, what did you do? I have replaced it already 5 times and am going in tomorrow to have it replaced for the sixth time. Any help is useful. Thanks.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
You're just putting in more Ford alternators, aren't you?

That's your problem.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Can you describe your symptoms a little more? I just went through this and found out it wasn't the alternator. Is this 5 times right away, as in the ones you're putting in don't seem to work immediatly? Or, is there time between putting them in where the alt actually works? Mine was a problem where a new one didn't work at all.

Also, do you have a multimeter? If so, check your voltages on your positive and negative terminals with the car off, with the car running, and with the car running and all accessories on such as headlights, a/c, radio, etc. Post what findings you have there and I can help you more.

Also, what year is your car?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said that you found out that it wasn't the alternator, so what did it turn out to be? Everytime I go to the dealership they tell me that it's the alternator.

Everytime I replace the alternator it lasts about two months sometimes less sometimes a little more.
I have a 99 four cylinder. It's just so frustrating to go down to the shop every couple of months.

battery ground wire is burning itself up, tell them to look at the wires connecting to the battery.
What am I supposed to have them look at with the wires? Are they supposed to check whether or not they are working properly?

·
Registered
716 Posts
It sounds like you have some other electrical problem. Maybe something that is drawing or overworking your alternator. What extra electrical accessories do you have?

My problem was different than yours, I didn't think it was at first. My alt went bad, and I replaced it, but the car still wouldn't produce a charge immediately. It didn't work for a short time then stop, it was nothing from the moment the new alt went in. A couple more tries with replaced alternators and the same problem. Turned out to be fuse #2 that is on the circuit that tells the alt to turn on and off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts