New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i don't know exactly how to explain this, so here goes nothing- I want to replace my cloth head-liner with a white cloth with images printed on it- like a collage of pictures of pimped out cougars or naked women or something- so that way the ceiling of my car is just images. Anyone know how i may go about doing this? Or can direct me to a place where i may be able to find help? And i don't want it to be ironed on patches or slides I'd like to have the image actually in the material!

Also- another question- On vinyl decals, can you do full color images? I have a pin-up girl i drew that i want to have a decal made of and put her on my car. If so where can i do this and roundabouts how much will it rape me for?

Thanks for any help in advance!!!!!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Thats not hard at all. You can either have the fabric screened (which would place the images right on it), or use spray adhesive with plain white fabric over the existing fabric, and place the images on top of that.

This has been done before, nothing too difficult, but it's time-consuming.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty!! Thanks! Do you know of any places online that might do the screening option? or any how to's?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: FastAzzCougar
Alrighty!! Thanks! Do you know of any places online that might do the screening option? or any how to's?
As far as online places, I don't, but in Buffalo, NY, I know most fabric places do it, and we have some cap and shirt makers that also do that kind of work. It's inexpensive, too... should cost less than 50 bucks if you supply the fabric and the images.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Well being as Sunni just did mine....lemme tell ya...ITS A TIME CONSUMING operation! Ask her bout it.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why is it time consuming? just picking out picks...go to a fabrics store and get them to fabricate it...and it doesn't seem too hard to get it back on...maybe:shrug:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Redlinetemp
why is it time consuming? just picking out picks...go to a fabrics store and get them to fabricate it...and it doesn't seem too hard to get it back on...maybe:shrug:
I can assure you that if you do it right, should take about 6-8 hours... because he wants it flush to the surface too, so it's a matter of overlapping right, too.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
It would probably depend on how you wanted to go about having the images put on the fabric........no clue how expensive screen printing would be on something like that......

I wouldn't advise having it done on a light colored fabric though, the adhesive would be much more noticeable I think... but once you have the fabric done...the actual installation onto your headliner should not actually be too time consuming....an hour or so...maybe two I think....

Good luck,
Sunni :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sunni- didn't you do someone elses for them? If so, mind sharing how you went about this? I have no clue really what a lot of my options are or how to even start- beyond picking a fabric and images... what kind of fabric do you suggest? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I refabriced Loyaltys interior, including the headliner.....

The first fabric he picked out was more of a spandex type material, but this did not work because the fabric was so thin (sheer like, but no see through....but strechy....it was really weird, I think it was a spandex blend) blue in color.....that when I put enough adhesive to make it stick, there were daker spots showing through.....took that fabric off and then tried a darker blue material that he picked out...I believe it was called Penay (sp?) and it was basically a one sided crushed velvet look.......this fabric was a bit thicker, darker and not so flimsy as the first....this worked pretty well. You cant get a fabric TOO thick because it would be hard to get everything to snap back together....

Here are a few of the first pictures comparing the two fabrics....his car is at the body shop right now so we cant take pics, but if we go up there next week I will have him take a pic of the new headliner for you...

·
Registered
897 Posts
get the fabric on top dye-sublimation printed! that looks so good... way better than screening, and probably cheaper for full bleed one off than screening. with the screening, you're probably going to pay more in just film work than the whole dye-sub print. then there's burning a screen for each color of the 4 color process, doing ONE copy, then reclaiming all the screens used. screening is most cost effective if you're doing LOTS of copies. we do the Microsoft parking permits (the things you hang on the back of the rear-view) at work, and they order them about 1000 at a time. otherwise, do a digital print via dye-sub.

you should mail order some white headliner material (i WANTED to, but didn't have time) and see if the printing place you go to for dye-sub printing can do it on your fabric.

and yes, start to finish the right way should be from 6-8 hours. drove around for a week with no headliner whilst i took my time. and then use Foamfast 74 adhesive... NOT, i repeat NOT Super 77 or Super 90. i've been through 85 degrees every day for months, and my headliner is still not sagging. and in 2 months, it will have been 1 year, and it still looks factory (only red... heh)

uRiDiAN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.