New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to describe the way I'm feeling right now. The engine is completely toasted and looks like it took some of the tranny with it. I thought I'd post here to get some of your thoughts on what I should do. Here's my situation:

First off, the car is done...won't even move...literally now.
I'm hardcore short on money. College tuition emptied my bank account and doesn't look like I'm going to be able to go back for this coming year. I have around $2k in my account right now (again, school & car took it all) and I'm only working part-time at the moment...which since I guess I can't go back to school I'm gonna have to find full-time employment.

My dad took insurance off the car earlier today because he's positive this car will not move again...and I as well am about to give up on it, too. The shop we took it to today said it would be atleast $6k for somebody (if I can find anyone he said) to fix my problem....$6-10K range....which quite simply just is not worth it for this car.

I really don't see any options here. My hands are tied right now...I'm completely screwed it seems. I mean, who wants to buy a Cougar with a blown engine other than the scrap yard for $50?? I've completely lost out on this car and I'm flat out screwed right here at the moment. Oh, and to top it all off...I still owe about $3,500 on it. Yeah...so when I thought this couldn't get any worse...yeah...I'm paying for a car to sit on a driveway.

I feel like going outside and beating my car down right now. It really is good for nothing at the moment. So if any of you can suggest anything to do or try I'd be glad to hear you out. My dad and I are completely out of ideas...so let me know.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Holy $hit, it was running fine on Saturday, what happened???

What makes you think the motor is blown? and, How would a blown engine take out the tranny? No way it would cost 6k to fix. You could do a straight 3L swap for less than half that. You can pick up a 3L escape motor for about $1300. A 2.5L for $1000. All you need is to find someone to swap it in. You really need to find out exactly what went wrong, I'm sure its not as bad as you think!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I feel your pain man. I'm going through a pretty bad situation myself with my cougar. The last time I drove my car was October. Best of luck with everything.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it to a shop to get it looked at today and he knew from the minute I pulled in. He told me the engine is completely done. Like, I knew something was wrong...but I didn't think it was a blown engine. The guy knows what he's talking about, too. He's a friend of my dad's and has a couple really nice cars.

The tranny also feels reaaaally bad..like it's about to drop right out. It was slipping and all kinds of crazyness while I was trying to get to the shop.

Well he said I'm probably looking at $6k installed by a shop...probably even more at a dealership. He said he wouldn't even wanna do the job and good luck finding someone to do it...which is why it'll cost a lot. I'm sure if I shop around I'd get a better price...but really anything over $3k at the moment is impossible. I owe about $6k on my line of credit (3 school, 3 car), only working part time so I really can't afford to put something that large on.

I've thought about a 3L swap but again, unless I get it installed for mad cheap (or even free) this is also not possible. Pretty much I've concluded my only options are to wait it out (which really isn't going to solve anything), try to sell the car without an engine to some moron, or get a 2.5L or 3L swap done for mad cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
um....something sounds odd here....VERY odd.

1) Is there any electrical power to the car?
2) Have you taken anything apart to look at it?
3) When/How did it happen?

details please :)

I'm not trying to be an ass...just wondering...because blown motor and tranny typically just doen't "happen" without symptoms. Especially with the bazillion sensors our cars have.

You mentioned the cost to repair....but what shop did you take it to?

6-10K is INSANE to pull an engine...I can get a 2.5 here and a tranny from the wrecker for like 1K, are they really charging 5-9K in labour? (and the motor and tranny here have less than 70K) Hell, if you want....I'll buy the car off you for 2K...just gimmie till the end of Sept.

EDIT: WAIT a second...you DROVE it there....and he "just knew" without taking anything apart. Then said no-one would work on it and the dealership would charge more?

Not trying to bad mouth you here....but you are seriously getting screwed here....first the GC issue....now this?....I'm getting to a loss of words.

·
3L Roush
4,387 Posts
Something definitely doesnt sound right. I know pulling the engine/tranny is not an easy job, but its not an $8000+ job.

I would definitely shop around. Remember, you can pull the engine/tranny from pretty well every year, except 1995, I believe, Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique. There has to be a MILLION of those things laying around in junk yards and you can just "drop" the motor in.

Do some research. You'll find its not as bad as you think.

Mike

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) I don't think the car even starts anymore and I don't wanna try.
2) I haven't taken anything apart to check...not sure if he did. I took my car there and went back to work.
3) This happened over a course of 3 days....each time I drove it getting 200% worse. I posted in the problems section when I first noticed there might be a problem. Briefly, I noticed the engine coolant bubbling after a brief drive and the hoses "gulping" the liquid. Later on that day I noticed ticking noises and bubbling coolant again. The next day noises got much worse, almost like things were getting grinded...hearing constant and loud ticking and screeching. Front the hood it sounded like the sounds were coming from near the manifolds. Noises incredibly louder and stalling occassionally as I took it to the shop this morning...and now here I am with no car.

Shop I took it too was a liscensed mechanic. A guy my dad knows and has worked on our cars in the past (mostly his Vette and our Thunderbird we owned previously). He does great work and owns an 80's Vette a Camaro and a bike. He's pretty good, but maybe his numbers might have been a bit out there. Either way though...this job is anything but cheap. Oh, and in case you were confused...this is NOT the same guy for the coilovers...totally different matter.

I've taken a look at car-part.com for some engines. I notice I can get a 3L Escape engine for about $1,200-$1,500. The Cougar 2.5L is going for same price...so might as well go 3L if this is how I'm gonna do it. there's a couple palces listed on there nearby....being Toronto, London, Brantford. Can you guys get me other websites similar to this that I can check out? Any other info you guys can give me on buying an engine from places like these?

EDIT: So the engines that I'm looking at right now are the following 3L from 1999-2003:
Ford Taurus
Mercury Sable
Ford Escape
Mazda Tribute

I know others will fit with customizations...but I want this as easy as possible. Am I leaving any out?

·
3L Roush
4,387 Posts
Remember, just because the prices are the same for the 2.5 and the 3.0, the 3.0 needs some things to make it work. I'm not 100% certain what it needs, but I know its not just a simple drop in. Check out the 3.0L Forums for any questions you may have. The guys in there definitely know more than I do. The 2.5, on the other hand, just drops right in, no extra work needed.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Do you have an MTX or ATX....

Also, try taking your air box back to stock and going to the ford dealer...see what they say.

for whatever reason, check all of your coolant lines and make sure there are no bent/kinked lines...I have a strange feeling your coolant lines are either clogged or bent and the coolant is not cycleing through causeing it to over heat.

for a straight 3.0 swap...see puckpuck (we told you you should have gone to the house of slam lol) I think you need the 2.5 oil pan, sensors, and MAF plus a few smaller things. He has the whole list though. These can be recycled from your 2.5 though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
$6-10k sounds way out there for prices. My fully built 3L parts/machining/port/balancing work and the tools that I did not have to finish the job cost me about $7k (not inlcuding my personal time) and my motor is pretty close to a race motor for the street. Shop around. To me it sounds like there is more to the situation of your motor...either way I'm sure you can get it done for ~$2k if you find a used 2.5L from a yard and the trans is still intact (which is probably the case since I can't see the 2 going a the same time)

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Was your car overheating? As soon as your car overheated you should of pulled over and shut it off. Driving around with an overheating engine is not good. Ticking sounds could also be signs of oil starvation causing HLA tap, or rod knock, have you check you oil recently? Check it to see if it looks white milky. Could be a blown headGasket.

Sounds like you not the only one with a blown motor! Look Here!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Nitrik,

I can probably help you out. Since you have no cashola, I would forget trying to do a 3L conversion. As you go through it, you'll want/need all these "peace of mind" things, and before you know it, you'll spend a lot more than you bargained for.

I have a mint condition 2.5L sitting in my garage ready to drop in. There's a good chance I could also do the swap for you. PM me, and let's talk business.

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Originally posted by: Massiv
Nitrik, I can probably help you out. Since you have no cashola, I would forget trying to do a 3L conversion. As you go through it, you'll want/need all these "peace of mind" things, and before you know it, you'll spend a lot more than you bargained for. I have a mint condition 2.5L sitting in my garage ready to drop in. There's a good chance I could also do the swap for you. PM me, and let's talk business. Massiv.
see their is light at the end of the tunnel.......good luck in what ever you do

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nitrik,

I can probably help you out. Since you have no cashola, I would forget trying to do a 3L conversion. As you go through it, you'll want/need all these "peace of mind" things, and before you know it, you'll spend a lot more than you bargained for.

I have a mint condition 2.5L sitting in my garage ready to drop in. There's a good chance I could also do the swap for you. PM me, and let's talk business.

Massiv.
Aww...but I really want a 3L! lol. I guess beggars can't really be choosers right now.

Man, that would be awesome. Are you God? Pm.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by: MaverickFlyer
Was your car overheating? As soon as your car overheated you should of pulled over and shut it off. Driving around with an overheating engine is not good. Ticking sounds could also be signs of oil starvation causing HLA tap, or rod knock, have you check you oil recently? Check it to see if it looks white milky. Could be a blown headGasket.

Sounds like you not the only one with a blown motor! Look Here!
Yes, the engine was overheating..but I had no way of telling until it was ultimately too late. When I started hearing the knocking it was pretty much too late...as it got really really bad reallly really quick.

As for oil...just had an oil change very recently so I don't think that was the cause. NorCalCougar told me to check for the milky liquid from my post in the "problems" section because it might be a blwon headgasket...but I didn't see anything he was describing.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
A blown headgasket can suck oil into your coolant pretty fast and ultimately starve your engine of oil. Contaminated coolant will also speed up the overheating problem. Oil can also be sucked into your cylinders and wash the cylinder walls clean of oil and ultimately cause friction, which causes Heat. If it happened pretty rapidly my guess would be a water pump failure. If your water pump stops working your engine will over heat very fast. Its really hard to say with out seeing the car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Originally posted by: Nitrik
Nitrik,

Massiv.
Aww...but I really want a 3L! lol. I guess beggars can't really be choosers right now.

Man, that would be awesome. Are you God? Pm.
No he's not but the two of us seem to have some saviour tendencies within the GTA region wrt Duratec engines. As we speak my SVT 2.5 is destined for another person in Burlington whose motor expired about a month ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.