New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I pretty much have my heart set on getting my motorcycle license. I turn 21 soon so all I have to do is take a test to get it. I plan on taking a MSF course right away.

I have a couple questions and I want to hear about everybody else's experience with the first time getting on a bike and so on.

I think I am going to get a Ninja 250 I have heard it both ways with it and I think its my best option.

1. They are pretty inexpensive (so when I drop it I won't feel too bad)
2. Good gas mileage 60-70mpg

I just hope I don't get ribbed too much on owning one.

I really don't know much about bikes but it seems that when I look at used ones they all have low miles on them and more often than not they have rebuilt engines at like 10k miles. Why is that? Is it because the high RPMs tear them apart? Also does anybody know if it costs more or less working on a bike rather than a car?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
A 250 is OK to learn on but they are weak and you will be wanting more of a bike really fast.

Eveno though they are rated as able to ride on the highway I wouldn't suggest it. The bike is too lite and a little sluggish on the highway. Heavy wind and drag from semi's and other vehicles tend to suck you into them on that small bike.

Don't buy new 250 though. They are crazy cheap new and you can pick up a used one that is practically new for half that already crazy cheap price. I'd say a good low mileage used one should be had for no more than 2K.

I'd still say pick up a used bigger bike if you can. They are alot funner to ride than the 250 and you won't get heckled at.

Maintenance and repairs are about the same cost as a taking your car to a good dealership.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Honda also makes a 250cc size bike. Black hawk...I think was the name, maybe. Its more of a cruiser style bike instead of the sport bike like the ninja. Price and performance, umm is that the proper word, are about the same.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
As stated before, a 250 should not be driven on the highway. Semi truck and speeding motorist will make for a very nervious first time rider.

Minimum I'd go for a road bike is a 500cc ;)

·
Registered
746 Posts
600cc or larger if you go smaller you will want something bigger with in a month.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok 2 let u know a little about me ,im 26 my first bike (more like moped) was a Hercules thats all i know about it besides it would only go 30 and it was very light and old...you peddled it to start it...i was 10 at the time....from there i have riden dirt bikes and have fixed a few(1972 175ccand a 78 85cc honda)along with three wheelers also older a 1983 90cc...and the others i dont remember.....more resent i bought a 1982 yamama 650seca(13000 miles)($650) if u know about the bike u know what it is but lets just say it was like one of the first crotch rockets....well i rebuilt it from forks to valves, brakes,crabs....lets just say from normal maints. to overhall(when i was done someone stole it...different story not important...just aggravating)now i bought and have been riding a 1996 honda cbr 600 f3 again i bought it this year in feb...i had to put new tires on it to begain with(again a whole other story...lets just say he drove it to much at the tracks....me knowing it went to get gas and all the polym. were burn out of the tire[what makes it grip the ground]....so it was like driving on ice....whipped out going maybe 3-5mph...and got back up and still rode it....to get tires of course)but this guy removed stuff needed just to make it look cool...like your chain guard,rear fender,center stand and stuff like that....anyways my point the bike cost me $2500and i put about $400-$500 into it .....i,ve put 4000 miles on it since feb....and it had 13000 on it when i bought it.....os just over 17000 now

in short the older ,the bike,the more seals and stuff like that will be wrong....yet with the newer ones ive seen when i was looking...people dont know how to leave things alone.....be the engine....or body,outer appearence.
yet a new bike costs around $7000 to $10000

ok....you said your looking at a 250....dont.......unless your just driving around town thats all its good for....think of the engine as a person walking and running....if going 45mhp is like walking to a 600cc engine and going 100mph is running.... then your not tiring out the engine if you are going 70mph....its breathing fine....i hope ur following me...what im tiring to say is if you take a 250cc on the express way....its going to get tired alot faster and want to stop to puke......maybe not right away....but it will...

i took a motorcycle course to get my license this year in april....yes i know ...i drove around illegaly for years...yet i ve driven for years so i didnt stand out like a sore thumb.....the only reason i took it was round here(michigan) it is cheaper to pay $25 for the course, then 40 just to take the test.....im cheap......and of course i passed the book part and the driving part both perfectly....for me the whole thing was just a play ground....mainly because the course was providing the bikes ,125cc and 250cc...small,light and easy to drag the foot peg on....it was fun.....i was the only one that could do it ,mind you....yet i reasured the first time rides...and the girls mostly(they thought the bike would tip over)

now before i bought the crotch rocket...i drove my dads 2003 honda shadow spirt 750cc.....i had the cruiser experence.....so let me tell u there is a difference....the biggest difference right off the bat is the throtle.the other is how u turn.......so if u can try them both....in the school they will be cruisers.....but let them keep those to 250s to themselves....

i bought the 600 thinking id be happy....yet you learn the bike(i mean come on i was turning left to go right.....it leans the bike over more...)i learned how to use the whole back tire.....and let me be the first to say...you can never find enough left turns to match the rights...

im crazy i guess u could say....yet to me its no different then a guy who has learned his snowmobile and is willing to go 100-125mph......i'm just crazy enough to go 85 in the rain.....im to comfortable.....thats why im selling it..................I got my COUGAR.......the deal i made with my wife is if i got the car i have to sell the bike....

but please if your going to buy a bike new or used buy no small then a 600....cruiser or rocket.....take the course first though!!!!

i feel like im babbling........so if you have any questions you think i could give you my opinion on let me know......

i have to go to bed....its passed my bed time.......lol

oh by the way the only way its cheap then a car is if u can do the work yourself......(yet thats with anything)one comparison for you....a cars tires cost arround $400-$600(im talk small car...for me it was an accord)....anyway i paid 400 for the tires and 130 to have them put on my bike.....

talk to u later

·
Registered
12 Posts
another thing....at your age insurance can going to be high...at 25 it drops pretty good....im talk for me from around 200 down to 45,the $45 is what im paying at state farm now. so first you might want to look into that....theres a cost difference !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.