New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so...I'm a girl and this is my first MTX...and I'm feeling a little embarassed, but here goes. Noboby ever mentioned that you shouldn't leave the car in neutral when parking (guess it's one of those things your supposed to be born knowing, crap! musta been lost somewhere along the way!) Anywayz...left in in neutral, ran into the house and when I came back out my baby was all the way down the side lawn with half a trampoline sitting on the hood!!! Whoops!!! Damage estimated at $1000. What kills me is now all of a sudden my guy friends are filled with advice. "duh, never leave it in neutral." Ummm...yeah, great! Where were you 3 hours ago?!? I guess it could have been worse, but I'm sticking to my theory that it isn't my fault...I wasn't even supposed to be home (I go to school an hour away and came back cause mom called and needed help) Yeah, its a weak theory, I know!! OK, nough out of me..just needed to vent! Laugh at me and I just might cry!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
MTX driving tips:

1) Always park in gear with the parking brake On. If you have a remote start, always park in neutral with the parking brake ON.
2) Learn to shift gears without looking at the tach. How? drive the car around shifting at the last possible minute. Get used to the sound of the engine at 6,000 RPMs. Learn that sound, Know that sound! Why? So you can now keep your eyes on the road more.
3) Learn the top speed of every gear ... this will help you memorize when it is safe or unsafe to downshift. Nothing worse than downshifting into 3rd at 90. Again, not the sound of the engine and the gear selection prior to downshift. Get to know this sound.

Now, you can accelerate and downshift by sound, allowing you to keep your attention on the road.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I have never left any of my MTX's in gear when parking. I always just use the p-brake. The only thing you would have to worry about would be your brake cable wearing out and it slipping loose, but if your car is still under warr, then they pay for the damages.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I do both (e-brake and in gear), just to be safe. Especially after my mom did something similar with my dad's Miata, and it rolled down the driveway into my Coug. $650 down the tubes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, the parking brake was on...just not all the way...actually, not really enough at all, pulled up like another 3 notches when my brother got in it to back it off the trampoline (over bush and some flowers, yeah, great stuff!) See, FastCougar, there's all that great advice just a smidge too late...but I'm gonna try the tachometer stuff...my bro's been trying to help me with that cause I want the shifting smoother...i always think I'm hurting the car when I rev it too much, gotta get over that I guess. As much as I've done wrong with the MTX, wouldn't change it for the world...sooo much better than the ATX I used to ride in...Guilty of downshifting from about 80 to second gear...my cat was NOT happy after that one (it was my first trip out), but you live and learn, then you get luvs (you know, as in the diapers commercial)

·
Registered
161 Posts
i put it into gear..so it doesn't roll in case the parkin brake fails..

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
exactly... could of rolled over a small kid playing in the street.... but yeah what everyone else said... also if you want to race check out How To Launch an MTX in the How To section courtesy of Me and FastCougar

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Alissa,

Don't feel bad! It takes a little while to learn how to do anything that's worth doing. When I was about 14 (a long time ago!!) my uncle had a brand new Dodge Daytona Turbo (oh, God that's really dating me) Anyway it was a cool car back then. He is a very cool and patient guy luckily. I asked him if it was hard to drive a mtx and he said "no way, I'll show you" I had the basic idea, but had never driven a mtx car, only a riding lawn mower. So we are sitting in a parking lot and I am trying to take off and I can't quite figure out why I am not going anywhere. I tried for awhile really revving the engine all the while, it kind of started to smell funny too. As I said my uncle is patient he just said calm as can be "honey I think you're in third gear, try to find first" I would have been freaking! Well, I ripped out of the parking lot and the rest is history. So don't worry, before long it will be second nature to you and you won't even have to think about when to shift. I would definately leave the car in gear and use the E brake when parking. Good luck, you'll be racing soon!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I learned how to drive when I was living in New Zealand. Everyone had to pass the test in a MTX beater. I think US is the only country that don't make you learn how to drive to get a license (that's right, you don't drive ATX, you steer...).

Anyway, the very first thing my driver's ed teacher told me is how to park. No kidding. He said before you learn how to drive, you must know how to park so I spend 30 minutes learning how to pull my hand brake, turn my wheels towards the curb and put the car in gear etc. It just became 2nd nature to me. Even now I "steer" an ATX cougar, I still instinctively pull my hand brake 3/4 way when I park.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Okay... I feel for you on the damage but... did you read the owners manual? Common babe... Its a car not a toy. It is 100% your fault because you took the keys to the car and after that it was YOUR responsiblity to ensure you knew how to safly operate it. As far as im concerned the parking brake(hence the name) should be set EVERY time you get out of that MTX. Sometimes... not often but somtimes the car CAN pop out of gear. Its been known to happen... lets say you park on a bit of a hill nothing serious and as you get in your knee hits the stick knocking it to neutral... you may or may not be able to get to the brake in time before you roll into somthing.

Im sorry to flame you... but you took a stance that it was not your fault and that upsets me a bit. You need to go get that owners manual and READ the whole thing. That goes for the rest of you too. How many have you guys have even looked at them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brandon, that sucks about your cousin!! And... I HAVE ABSOLUTELY READ MY OWNER'S MANUAL! As well as any other info I can get my hands on about my car. Referencing the owner's manual may have saved Alissa from the "runaway cat incident", but I am not so sure that it would help all that much to advise her on shifting smoothly or properly. That is more of a trial and hopfully not too much error thing!

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you live in a warm climate, which I don't then put it in gear and use the E-Brake! I park it in gear without the e-brake, because in Cold Weather they can seize and then your screwed. I've never had a MTX roll while it was parked in gear!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exigent, that was a little harsh! But, as you say i set myself up for it, so whatever, but can i just say that the theory that it was not my fault was A JOKE (and more to do with place then HOW it happened!) I in no way blame anyone but myself...and actually...I DID READ THE MANUAL!! Thank you very much, and joined this board to learn more about the car....I fully realize the car is not a toy and I don't treat it like one. I was just saying that nobody tells you the aparently obvious things until it's too late! I learned an expensive lesson yesterday, but that's the point...you make mistakes and learn from them, trust me, I will not leave my car in neutral and the brake will be up as high as I can get it!!
Thanks cougar8 for understanding. And Fuzzy I am really sorry about your cousin, that must have been hard!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I just read my last post and it sounds angry...sorry bout that. Just got a little defensive I guess...

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i live in canada... i have owned an MTX for the last 4 years and have ALWAYS used my parking brake... it has NEVER seized on me... even when Toronto got dumped with 3+ feet of snow in 2 weeks a few yeasr ago i was right in the middle of it going to school up there and ALWAYS used the parking brake... a parking brake will give you signs before it seizes and breaks.... you'll feel it being clunky and hard to pull and release... when this happens all you do is get your oil changed somewhere where they have a lift... when you pull up tell the guy the only way you'll get your oil changed there is if they let you under the car... then take your can of WD-40 and spray away at the cable and all links..... if the cable is obviously in poor condition get it changed.... allthough this would take at least 5 yeasr of normal wear before happening. Also it's a known fact that you will stretch your cable with time of using it.... to get that tight feeling back... put car in reverse and back up slowly... while backing up put thumb on e-brake button and pull the lever up and down quickly while still going in revers... do this a few times and that cable will be tight again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.