New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So im pretty sure I have never really posted pics of the VR4 on here so since I just got it back on the road i figured I might as well.

'93 3000GT VR4 with ~229K original miles.
mod list is short but includes:
11G turbos (from the stock 9Bs)
DN Performance pre-turbo pipes
K&N open element filter
M2 downpipe with front pre-cat delete
gutted rear pre-cat
3" test pip
stock catback (stuck in sport mode:banghead:)
glowshift center gauges replaced the stock oil pressure, water temp, boost.
boost controller set to ~14PSI (from the stock 10PSI)
poly motor and trans mounts
Maximal Performance solid roll resistors
Larger front mount oil cooler (replaced the small sidemount that was behind an intercooler)
snake eyes mod
2nd gen rear center garnish/reverse lights
S-type BOV
Charcoal carpet and center console side panels (in transit)

The first time I went to look at was back in October of 09. It was owned by my neighbor who bought it new in 93 and used it to travel between Louisville and Atlanta. When I got it, it had ~220K miles on it.

first time looking at it.

What a dirty stock engine bay

I finally picked it up almost a year ago, in May of '10 and the repairs and mods started coming. first thing was the drivers side rear wheel bearing and a new battery. then an aftermarket y-pipe (the stock one is known to leak after the rubber seal gets old), pre-turbo pipes, BOV, MSD wires, and Samco radiator hoses went on in a few stages along with a vacuum reduction and simplification of the clutch and brake vacuum booster systems.

Still a little dirty but improved over stock

after a nice summer bath

with the snake eyes mod (basically the headlights and fog lights come on with the parking lights)

then I added the gauges and a boost controller, turned the boost up and I was happy with the power for quite a while. all was well, after replacing the other 3 wheel bearings, until about a month ago when the clutch slave cylinder went out. well, while I was waiting for parts, I figured it would be a good time to install the downpipe and solid roll resistors. after getting the rear pre-cat out of the way to get to the rear resistor, I inspected the rear turbo. turns out it was mostly seized. :facepalm: time to replace the turbos.

after a week of waiting for parts (gaskets and crush washers) I finally get the car all back together, only to find out that the rear rebuilt turbo leaks oil into the turbine housing. as much as it sucks, I couldnt complain to much as i got a great deal on the pair of turbos, spending about half of what the next cheapest upgrade normally costs.

leaking turbine side seal

1 rebuild kit later, and the car is all back together. now to take it easy on the turbos for the next couple hundred miles to make sure they break in nicely without any problems.

while I was waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive, I found a good condition 2nd gen rear center garnish for a measly $40 shipped, in the correct color.

1st gen garnish

2nd gen garnish

so thats where it sits now, patiently waiting a few weeks before i turn the boost back up from the 6PSI wastegate pressure.:evil:

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Very nice. I've always liked these...the thing must be a rip to drive.

I want a ride at 'fest :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Awesome find. Very clean. Idk if I missed the numbers, but did you dyno it?

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice. I've always liked these...the thing must be a rip to drive.

I want a ride at 'fest :)
oh its quite a blast, so much faster than the Contours.

anyone who wants a ride at 'fest just as to ask:cool:

Awesome find. Very clean. Idk if I missed the numbers, but did you dyno it?
I have not had it dynoed as no one around here as an AWD dyno. typically though BPU on the stock turbos will make between 300 and 350AWHP and run ~105-110MPH in the 1/4. so with the slightly larger turbos I should be in the upper range of that or higher.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Very nice looking. It looks in very good condition still. It seems the ones you see on the road are generally taken care of. I REALLY wanted a Dodge Stealth back in high school.

The 2nd gen tail light thing looks worlds better imo. The only thing that bugs me is the third brake light under the spoiler.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah, the 2nd gen garnish is just so much nicer looking than the very late 80s/early 90s styling of the 1st gen.

the 3rd brake light has to be under the spoiler instead of attached to it due to the active aero. at 50MPH (or when you flip the switch inside while not moving) the spoiler flips up and the front air dam drops down. Yes, it is actually functional aerodynamically, it was tested in a wind tunnel and with the aero off the front had lots of lift and the rear had a little downforce at high speeds. when turned on, the front lift decreased and the rear downforce increased to the point that the 2 negated each other for a net 0 lift.

videos from someone else

front
YouTube - front active aero

rear
YouTube - rear active aero

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Mein GOTT, is there any plastic left in the world after that interior was assembled? :rofl: I've always had a bit of an affinity for the VR-4, they just LOOK badass and even though it's clearly a design from a different era, it's aged quite well I think. I've always heard (though have no experience myself) that they are or can be nightmarish to maintain, but I know those things go like stink. Very nice car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Very nice man! Like the rest of the guys I have always liked these.

I remember the special features/extended ending clip in the first fast and fusious he had one of these before he bought the skyline he used in 2F2F.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very very cool. There's one I see around here pretty often that's been hacked to bits. Primer black, poorly-fitted body kit, fart cannon, etc. It's nice to see one in nice condition. I've always liked them.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Awesome; I'll need a ride at CougarFest, too :)

The thing is, now it says 3000GT twice in rapid succession on the rear fascia. Is it possible to de-badge the smaller one?

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
Looks great Daniel! Where's mah video?? lol......

btw, I've got 3SX performance about an hour from me. We went for a dyno day and they fired up their drag car. I melted into a puddle of g00.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I know it's fast and all, and it's an awesome car and I'd love to have one . . . and I know it has two of them . . . but those turbos are so tiny :tongue:

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Awesome; I'll need a ride at CougarFest, too :)

The thing is, now it says 3000GT twice in rapid succession on the rear fascia. Is it possible to de-badge the smaller one?
yes, im planning on removing the 3000GT portion from the bumper and leaving the VR4 badge. they are just so thin that I havent come up with a good way to go about doing it yet.

Looks great Daniel! Where's mah video?? lol......

btw, I've got 3SX performance about an hour from me. We went for a dyno day and they fired up their drag car. I melted into a puddle of g00.
Video is coming probably next week after I know the turbos are nice and broken in and not smoking.

the 3SX drag car is pretty damn sweet, so is Ray Pampenas 1000+ AWHP beast.

YouTube - Ray Pampena's 3000GT VR4. True HD

I know it's fast and all, and it's an awesome car and I'd love to have one . . . and I know it has two of them . . . but those turbos are so tiny :tongue:
I know right! of course, them being so small means i get 5PSI by 2000RPM. :crazy:

Edit: Oh yeah, BBOX, the maintenence really isnt that bad, in my case the things i have replaced or had problems with is simply due to the age and mileage. once replaced, with a quality part (so OEM for most things), I havent had any problems. most everything is extremely stout, there are people running 600+WHP on the stock engine and trans. even getting to things to replace them isnt that bad really (slave cylinder is external to the trans so I just removed the intake and intercooler piping and it was right there). the timing belt really isnt that difficult either, once you get all 4 cams lined up. :rofl:

·
3,109 Posts
Defiantly an awesome ride; I am a fan of these cars but I don't think I would buy one...not really sure why; I like to see them more then I'd like to have one. The active aero is defiantly ahead of its time.

that break-in period sucks...I'm still goin easy on my clutch; hard to resist just goin all out now and then. But if you were happy at the power it had with one almost siesed turbo you should be very pleased with 2 upgraded ones :thumbsup:

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
break-in periods just suck. I cant wait till the factory clutch finally goes and I have to replace it, boost will have to be turned back down again.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
10 minutes, some dental floss, quick detailer, clay bar, and Meguiers cleaner wax. no more badge on the bumper. the spot on the lower right of the bumper is the only issue with the body.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts