New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after weeks of the car simply sitting dead in the garage.... I finally decided that I needed to begin somewhat on the Right Hand Drive Conversion. At this time I am waiting for the new brake booster components but thats all. In order to do a Right Hand Conversion, the Left Hand stuff must be removed. That is what I was able to do this evening in about 3 hours by myself. Believe it or not, Ford made the removal of the dash very simple... Once the add on dash pieces (like the shrouds and glovebox) were removed...I recall their only being bout 8 torx20 screws that held the entire dash in...The rest of the process was simply unclipping the main wiring harness and the OBDII Scanner Port from the dash. The steering column was dropped before the dash could come out.... However removal of the wheel itself may of been easier if not doing the swap. In the photos you will see a rusty piece of metal... This is the next piece to be removed. This cross member will be replaced with a new powdercoated black one that is made just for the RHD cars...At this time it appears I will be removing the entire Heater Box from the vehicle and NOT switching it over to the RHD Verson... Weight Reduction lol....I will post more as soon as I am able to do more... I am leaving Monday for Vacation so the car gets to sit for awhile...

LHD Removal Pics

·
Registered
279 Posts
Man....I have to give you credit for the amount of work you are doing......but damn....that's insane!! It would break my heart to see my Cougar all torn up like that. But I gotta admit, its original. Keep the pictures coming

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
damn i never thought i see the day were i would see anything rusted on that car

i hope you didnt get you new paint job yet......

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
that piece is rusted 2 days after you pick your car up from the dealership... we all have that problem

... good work though james...

keep it up

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
all that would have taken me like 30 hours probably. looks like you got a nice start on it! keep us posted with more pics!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It must be the material it is made of... Here is an example... I just upgraded all my screwdrivers for x-mas to the Craftsman Professional Series... I left one in the car last night, in the garage.... It is now showing the same signs of rust as the Crossmember in the car.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I think GrandMasterKhan can get some more good weight-reduction ideas from looking at those pics :biggrin:

Mike

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
that piece is rusted 2 days after you pick your car up from the dealership... we all have that problem

... good work though james...

keep it up
When jjennings had no dash in his car, his was fine and his was many many months old by then. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.