New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been changing my exhaust every so often and now I got the perfect setup. <<JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION >>
The best exhaust for our cars 2.5NA or 3.0NA is to use 2.25' pipping with high flow muffler (i use dynomax which give you a low deep tone)because they give you very good low end and high end power. 2.5' will lose alot of low end power but give you a bit more high end so to speak give you a better 1/4 mile run. I did my research NASCARs use 2.25 exhaust.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
my old pacesetter was 2.25 and i just got a trubendz with 2.5 and my trubendz feels way faster down low and up top:shrug:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
We're going to need some numbers before we take your word as gospel- It's the price we all pay for too many posers on the board pontificating from their posterior orafice.

The Borla System is 2" with hi-flow components. The Trubendz is 2.5". The 3.0L hybrid, with it's extremely high compression, needs more than this even- My setup is below, pics in the 3L forum. 3" right from the header Y-pipe, all the way through a hi-flow cat & muffler, then swedge down to a 2.5" Trubendz SS system. It's the "best" system for the hybrids, since flow is paramount- The high compression removes most, if not all the need for an amount of restriction in the exhuast to come up with low-end torque.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I find it hard to believe that a small V6 would need 2.5" piping. Hell my Mustang GT had 2.5" and I was told that was plenty big enough. Doesn't an engine need a little bit of back pressure to perform optimally...? :shrug:

Then again, what do i know??? :slap:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oh crap here comes the backpressure vs no backpressure arguement. :cover: I've been hearing this back and forth since I was 13 reading hotrod magazine in my uncle's garage. I'll put my bid in for a little is good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Speaking of exhaust. Can a muffler shop install a tip who's inlet is 2.5" on my exhaust that is 2.25? Like can they stretch the pipe .25"?

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
you see your Mustang is also a v8 with True Duals. SO that doesnt serve as a proper comparison. Neither does any other car with True Duals such as a NASCAR. lol thats just so much fun to say...NAASSSCARRRRR

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Correct, Blackcoog.

Busted: The Borla cat-back system is 2" ID piping. The Trubendz system with the Borla muffler is 2.5", just as all of his quasi-dual systems.

ZetecNinja: 3" is also recommended for 3L hybrids- Those with ridiculously high compression need the extra breathing room.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe (and I've worked with alot of exhaust) the optimal system for the cougar/contour V6 would a Quasi Dual with 2.5inch piping from the Y pipe to the rear split, and then 2 1/4 for the 2 splits Ex. Brullen System. Or 2inch True Duals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.