New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Nice! The Bonneville Salt Flats have something called the 130 club that I would love to try to build a Cougar for. The car has to reach 130 MPH in a one mile stretch on the salt to qualify.
My salt flat racer currently sits at #3 in my car build plans so maybe I'll get to it in another ten years LOL. Of course, by then I might not be able to buy gasoline anymore so...
🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
22,241 Posts
Dont have to live in Germany to do that......so Ive heard.

Ive looked into some of those half mile and mile speed events and the rules are crazy for some of them. One that killed it for me for one event is that even a factory 4 lug car had to be converted to 5 lug.

·
Registered
41 Posts
gentlemen, the contest is officially on!
( for the hightest speed photo caught on a cougar)
XD

·
Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thats not fair.... you guys can mod the ever living hell out of your Cougars..... I reached 237 km/h (mine's stock) but more doesn't work for me for now. Maybe in a few years I can rival you guys.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I reached 125mph on I69 between Flint and Port Huron on my bone stock car when the wheels weren't ballanced properly and it had a bad wheel bearing. Pretty sure I had the AC on too. Now I can't remember the last time I went over 85mph.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Well thats not fair.... you guys can mod the ever living hell out of your Cougars..... I reached 237 km/h (mine's stock) but more doesn't work for me for now. Maybe in a few years I can rival you guys.
I think our top speed is going to be pretty much the same no matter what. The 3.0's and forced induction cars can just get there faster.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think our top speed is going to be pretty much the same no matter what. The 3.0's and forced induction cars can just get there faster.
Really? Don't you guys have something like the Mondeos ST200 Transmission which has a longer 5th gear for a higher Top Speed?

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Really? Don't you guys have something like the Mondeos ST200 Transmission which has a longer 5th gear for a higher Top Speed?
The 4-cylinder cars have longer gears than the V6 cars for some reason. One popular mod for folks with boosted V6 cars is to swap in the 4-cylinder final drive gear to keep first and second gears from being completely useless.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i ve heard that usa contour-cougar final gear is 4.06
and europe mondeo mk2-cougar final gear is 3.84
so we (the europeans) got from stock a longer final gear then you (the americans)
is correct?

personally i took a max speed 236kmh GPS with 17's, 3.0 hybrid
have yet to try now with the actual wheel configuration
the Mondeos ST200 Transmission which has a longer 5th gear for a higher Top Speed?
never heard of that, how did you find it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
never heard of that, how did you find it?
Alot of People I've talked with told me that.
Also how else does the ST200 Mondeo justify having a 260 km/h tachometer if it also has the MTX-75.
And lets not talk about the early ST220s how also had the MTX-75 with still 243 km/h claimed (by Ford) top speed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yes
the 3.0 st220's mtx75, yes i know, it has different 4th and 5th gears (compared to the std mondy mk3 3.0 and 2.5), for this yes i agree (visible on fordzap)

st220gears.jpg

but about the mk2 st200
...i've searched on fordzap and the codes ares the sames for both the mondy mk2 170cv and 205cv
(instead gears are different for the 4wd version..shorter... and they result the same for the cougar......)
and it looks like the 5th of all mondy mk2 (170 & 205cv) are longer than cougars (0.76 vs 0.85)
IS IT TRUE??? INTERESTING IF TRUE

st200,170, cougar gears.jpg

however I'M INCLINED TO BELIEVE that the 260kmh is only for make a difference for the sport version

Nuova immagine bitmap (3).jpg

anyhow with 205cv you cant do 250 or 260kmh is a fact
also i googled for curiosity:
Nuova immagine bitmap.jpg

Nuova immagine bitmap (2).jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I don't know 100% if its true but alot of people tell me and going after official numbers isn't really accurate. I even have 225km/h as the top speed of my Cougar in my registration documents but I still reached 237 km/h. The only thing I could do is ask the owner of a ST200 prototype because even the ST200 Cougar prototype has a 260km/h tachometer and he completley restored one with the help of a Ford Dealer so he would know.

·
8,564 Posts
I know this is a couple days old, but: I hate the title of this thread.

Germany has good, free health care. Excellent public transportation. Roads in great condition. Miniatur Wunderland.

There are a LOT of good things about living in Germany. I've wondered on many occasions about moving there.

Reactions: frostbite

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know where you went but except for healtcare thats definetly not Germany.
And if you would consider moving.... trust me go to Austria.... the Autobahn is the only thing keeping me from saying 100% I'll move to Austria.

·
8,564 Posts
I don't know where you went but except for healtcare thats definetly not Germany.
We started in Frankfurt, then hit Heidelberg, Sinsheim, Stuttgart, Munich, Berlin, and Hamburg. That entire two weeks we used city buses and trains, except for the bus trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein, a taxi in Heidelberg in the rain, and a ride from a relative in Frankfurt. I recall seeing one pothole the entire time we were there...if you think those are bad roads, you should come visit us in the US. And Miniatur Wunderland is definitely in Hamburg, Germany.

The grass is always greener on the other side...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could literally record a Video of my way to work and count all the spots on the road that are just like filled with a little bit of tar so its technically not a pot hole anymore... plus construction everywhere....

and getting my license was the best thing to happen since I hate public transport....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
somewhere between 210 and 220 on the highway. some guy in a loud G35 coupé rolled by my group of cars at 140+. I was on my way back from military training and had the car full to the brim with gear. I couldn't help it, so I popped out of the right lane, dropped two gears, and went to say hello. he saw me and bolted. I let off around the time i realized these were I'm-dead-or-will-never-drive-again speeds. that infiniti wasn't going anywhere, either - I suppose Aero starts to make a serious difference eventually, and our cars definitely are slick.

Man that car was incredible. I need another one of these toys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts