New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After browsing my rim/tire options, ive decided that when i buy new wheels, i do not want 18s. I want to upgrade, and i feel that if i want to spend the extra money and whatnot for 19s why not go with 20s. First off ive searched and found out by numerous people that 20's wont fit and on the other side that they may fit, with no definate answer and a murky grey inbetween. I believe they can fit, If i can get a right tire size with a good rim offset.

First off, what id like to ask, is generally what modifications are needed to fit a 20" tire? Are some of the suspension components in the way? The fender liner? What is it that "needs" to be modified.

Ive researched, and from what ive found a 20x7.5 rim with a FWD offset (42+mm) mated to a 225/30/20 tire, is compared to my stock 205/55/16 tire is the overall diameter in the 20" rim is 25.3" compared to the 24.9" in my stock tire. Now looking at my wheel gap, there a spare inch or two up there, and with a difference of .4" i think it would fit. And the size of the width of the tire is very negigible the stock rim has a sectional width of 8.6" compared to 8.9" of the 20" rim.... SOOO to my point, i think this will work, but worst case, what do i need to look at or modify?

Now i need someone to chime in who has 20's... :cough: craig :cough::biggrin:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is true, i would think the back wheel would be no problem as it is stationary, while the front wheel has to rotate plus the movement from the suspension up and down..

by cutting the fender what do you mean, and what actually needs to be cut? The underlip? The outside of it?

·
is a pop sensation
13,676 Posts
Those wheels and tires should work without modification. The Cougars that came stock with 17s have a tire that is 0.15" larger in diameter and 225 width is just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Should fit that is. The problem that he may run into is finding a 20" wheel that is 7.5 inches wide. Perhaps they make them, perhaps not.

Offset and width are going to be a big factor here.

Also remember these are going to be much heavier and much harder to initially rotate, so expect a performance drop with these on.

Perhaps he wants to guinea pig it and be the first to install 20s without modifications.

I do think that the wheel may rub on a strut. I'm not sure.

Knappstman I would PM StreetConcepts or even CreativeCompacts.com for more info.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
20"s with a very small tire work w/o cutting. I talked to Craig before he got his, and showed him the pics of the 20"s on my car, without modifications. Once he received his, however, he had to remove the fender liner, and do some trimming, because he went wider than I did, and was unable to turn the wheel.

E1

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i finally got back with motegi, they do not offer custom drilling :shrug: what is up with that? I could of sworn ive seen people around with custom drilled wheels from them. Or do they not offer custom drilling to individuals but only companies? Now this disapoints me, this was the only wheel i could find in 20x7.5" with a gunmetal center and polished lip that i like.

After looking on Axis's website ive foudn i like the Reverb wheel with the Anthracite color with polished lip. So i always emailed them asking about custom drilling.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Many wheels are forged with the holes in them, the Motegi's are one of those.

And good luck with Axis. The guy that does their custom drilling sucks...

E1

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yeah, I have multiple sets of wheels...

19" Axis NE-0's in Chrome. Axis screwed up the drilling 3 times, and in the end the chrome peeled like a banana. These are now my shop-wheels for when the car is being worked on.

19" QT S-13's, my daily driver wheels. Easy to keep clean, and match the silver on the car perfectly.

19" Modular Society 3 piece custom forged wheels. These are the show wheels, and as of yet have never sat on the car more than a few minutes. (At $2000 per wheel, you should understand why...) ;)

I'm pretty happy with the S-13 as my daily wheels, but I'll never buy the Nitto Neo-Gen's again, I'm going back to my Toyo's after this year.

E1

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I know you work in a rim/tire store or shop of some sort
Kinda. ;) I actually am part owner of the shop, and now all I do is collect checks from 1400 miles away. ;)

I'll give the shop a call and get some prices on the S-13's for ya, I know we have at least 1 extra set in the warehouse still, since we're keeping an extra set of wheels for each of the shop cars.

If I remember correctly, it was right about $1000 for 19's with tires.

E1

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yup, I can get them, but we're on a boycott of Axis at this point, and we've refused to sell their products for the past 6 months. (We are a wholesale distributor, so it hurt their entire distribution chain when we did this.) This was all because they screwed up 3 sets of wheels for me, back to back. We figure if they'll screw up MY order, they'll screw up anybodies, and we don't want to have to deal with that from customers... So until they fix their problems, I will not be selling their products.

E1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.