New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is by far the craziest driving I have ever done...

We start out the day by getting our convoy together consiting of 2 SUVs, Toyota Land Cruisers, (Non-Armored) for a meeting in Kabul. Everyone has their full armor on and is locked and loaded... we leave base into an ancient world unknown to most Americans, a world where "survival of the fittest" actually means something. We begin by dodging kids selling what ever they can out on the streets and donkeys hauling cargo twice their weight in one of the poorest countries in the world. There is no traffic laws and no licence to drive. As long as you have a vehicle that runs, "sometimes," you can drive in Afganistan. If an accident occurs, the guy with the biggest guns will prevail... I drove an avarage of 100 - 120 KPH, passing jingle trucks and trying to dodge the potholes in the street nearly wiping out due to vehicles coming at us double wide and forcing us to swerve off the road to prevent head on collisions. Speed bumps which appear out of nowhere are usually slowed down for (if you spot it ahead of time)... as we entered Kabul the traffic turned into New York city population but still no traffic laws, we squezzed our SUV's through traffic blocking people and cutting them off, everywhere we went people would stare at you
and kids would wave :wave:, hoping that nothing would happen to your convoy because of some suicide bomber, we persuded to our destination where we encountered butcher shops with meat hanging out side, swormed with flies, and people begging for money, we came across 2 guys sitting in the road about 6 cars wide and packed, begging for money, but could do nothing but sit there because they had no legs... (it is said that while the Soviet Army occupied this place, every 5 minutes someone would step on a mine) we came across Mountains with homes built into the sides by rock and mud, whole mountain faces with homes 5,000 - 6,000 feet above sea level where they would ascend and decend into the city everyday. Jingle trucks stacked with bricks, which were loaded by hand, cars and motorcycles everywhere swerving in and out off and on the paved road.
We got to our meeting with time to spare and I reflect on my adventure, thinking, I will never forget this experience!

I hope you enjoeyed this story, I swear, I did not over exadurate anything, although I did forget to included the 6 camels that I spotted... God Bless

John

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about... a few years ago, I went to the Middle East to meet my family over there and I have NEVER seen anything like that before in my life! It was certainly an experience that I will never forget! We hired a driver to take us around though... that was interesting!

Take care!

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
thats sounds like an exciting and terrifying experience. It's sounds like something i would want to experience but at the same time would never want to.

good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Sounds like you did your job well. Also sounds like a good place to have a lifted truck.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
thats why i love our helos.....mini guns hung and people run whenthey see them land lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.