New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll cut right to the chase... My buddy got his 94 Supra TT back together today. It has the stock twin turbos in true-twin mode (vs. sequential), turbo-back 3-inch exhaust, running about 18PSI of boost with 2 gallons of Toluene in the gas tank as octane booster (for some reason he was having problems keeping the boost below a safe 15-16, so he ran the Toluene as a safety measure... riiiiiight ;)). It should be pushing around 400RWHP in that trim

Since it's very cold out and neither one of us has decent tires, we went from a roll. We went from 2nd gear the first time. I dropped the hammer and broke the tires loose momentarily, but he started getting sideways and short-shifted to third. I immediately pulled about 3/4 of a car length. I shift to third and he's still out of his powerband so I held him off for another 3-4 seconds. Just when it looks like it's going to be a really good race, his turbos hit full boost and as I'm shifting to 4th at around 80, he's pulling really f'ing hard, and had me by about 3 car lengths before we let off at around 100.

We had a few more runs.... I could always get a small jump on him when we started out in the lower gears because of my traction, gearing and low-end torque advantage... but above 70MPH it was always an ass-raping... in fact, I think every single time he passed me, I was doing about 70-75.

All in all, I was pretty happy considering he has at least 100-150HP more than I do. Time for that superchager.... or some NAWZZZZ. :biggrin:

Or maybe next time I should race him in my Cougar... since Mustangs suck on the highway! LOL, just messing with you guys....

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Hehe nice! S/C that beast and you'll be giving him a run for his money!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys... Once he's able to turn down the boost, we'll go again on pump gas and hopefully it'll be closer.... especially if we go from a dead stop :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hehe...ass-raping, that's my line! :biggrin:

Turbo Supras even in stock form are a very tough match for a Mustang. I've seen mildly modded ones with an automatic run 12's. It's a whole lot easier to tune more power with FI.

Must get Vortech! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You would kill him in a 1/4 mile run.

But on high speed runs, naaaa Mustangs just don't have the grunt on top. They are low torquey beasts.

And with the 4.10 gears, you might as well hang it up. Not a highway gear heheh. The lowest gear I would have used is a 3.73 which is what I'm running now. I wouldn't go any further though as gas mileage and killing more top end. But not like I'm going to do 160+ anyway hehe.

But, get you some better suspension for one and get all the bolt ons. We have a 2003 Mustang Gt running 12.8s with just suspension mods and bolt ons. Still on the stock manifolds. This year when we rent the track out. . he should be hitting 12.5 to 12.6 easily with the headers and off road X.

Only thing, trap speeds are low. He hit 102 at 12.8 hell I was hitting those speeds at 13.6 bone stock hehe. But that alone tells you the power and basically where it's coming from.. . . .right out of the hole.

If you are looking for better top end. . .don't go the supercharged route. From what I've seen, the 4.6 still falls on it's face after 4800 to 5200 RPM's. Get a turbo to net that power at a higher RPM speed if you are looking for high end.

If you are like me and just looking for that 1320. . .supercharge that beast!

Or Nitrous is always a good thing too. Save on gas mileage and use it only when you need it :D

I'm shooting for 11s this year :evil:

And the best thing.. . . .hitting 11s and still not even hit 5 grand on mod money :) Just alittle weight reduction underway but still keeping things in order for highway driving ofcourse. I've seen on LS1Tech stock internal LS1's with bolt ons running as low as 11.21 NA!!!! Big ass stall though (4400 RPM Stall) but still, that's bad ass!

So that's my route. Do same these guys did and hit 11s. Cost for me. . zero =)

And then slap on a 100 shot of nitrous. . maybe get it tuned to handle a 150 shot :) and then I'm looking for 10s. . . still on the stock 10 bolt hehe.

Just no spray off line or rear goes snap.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Oh yea. . .when is this Big Bad Mustang going to meet up with this Freak Trans Am :) It's just a bone stock LS1 man. . . .pretty slow too. :biggrin:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey Raben, I got something better for ya....2003 Cobra with just a S/C pulley will pull 11's no sweat. :) Here Viper!....Here Z06!

I would even put my money on a properly tuned S/C GT...I've seen some trap speeds over 110 mph with 6-8lbs of boost on a stock block.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Originally posted by: SpruceCougar
Hey Raben, I got something better for ya....2003 Cobra with just a S/C pulley will pull 11's no sweat. :) Here Viper!....Here Z06!

I would even put my money on a properly tuned S/C GT...I've seen some trap speeds over 110 mph with 6-8lbs of boost on a stock block.

LOL I've already smoked several S/C GT's at the track running NA :D

As for an 03 Cobra with the pulley. . .yea they are beast. Alittle over my limit currently until I get some work done. I'm shooting for 11s this year :evil: but only time and $$ will tell hehe.

If I had the money I actually would have been driving one of them. So much you can do for cheap and have a seriously low second 1/4 car :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
mprtklr. . . . .too bad you're not close to here. I'd love to run you at the track :evil:

On the street on the other hand. . .ummm. . . not yet :rofl: You should easily pull on me up top since you are dishing out that power around what, 5300rpms? Think that's where it's crossing if I am reading it right. However your torque curve falls after that, but your HP continues to roll on till 7000rpms before holding up and falling.

My last dyno, I had to shut her down after 6200RPMS. My HP/TQ curve crossed around 5500 however torque started to drop and the HP continued to rise and then stayed even at 6200. Looked like it would have held alittle longer, but don't want to push it hehe.

Good numbers bro :thumbsup:

What are your times at the track btw?

M

·
0 Posts
you are reading it correct, these numbers are brand new, i was dynoing a 276 a couple of weeks ago, and i added a stand alone engine management (Greddy E-Manage) and S-AFC and changed my cams, to a 272 from a 264. and a couple of other things. right now i run [email protected]

also you and me would not be a good comparo... me=high strung small displacement 4 cylinder on steroids .... you=big burly don't f**k with me with 8 cylinders :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Very impressive dyno pull mprtklr! I test drove an EVO about a month ago, and was really pleased with its performance. It had no problem pulling no matter what gear you were in, not much turbo lag either. The dealer really wanted me to buy one, started working out payment plans, etc. but I really was just interested in a test drive. I'll give those cars credit, they're definitely fast cars...but just not for me. I couldn't get over the fact that it was a 30k compact car that screams "boy racer". I'll stick to my Mustang for a little longer I guess.

M

·
0 Posts
well, understandable, you have to understand the stance behind the car. America has never been a WRC country, only people who know about/watch WRC know about the history behind the EVO. and Mitsu wasnt even going to bring it here until Scubby made the WRX a hit. and really, i have wanted and followed the EVO series from EVO 5 in 1996. I couldnt wait to get my hands on one. it fit me perfect. I like the "boxy" look. my brother has a 03 cobra and dont get me wrong, it is fast as hell, but it isn't very refined, lots of grunt, with squeeks, rattles, etc. the EVO is very well built, well mannered, well balanced and can throw anyone into a curve at any speed this side of insane and be perfectly happy at it. thats what i like.

EDIT: consider yourself lucky you got a test drive, most people arent even allowed test drives until they sit through finance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Very valid points you've made. Everybody buys a car for certain reasons, and I agree the USA hasn't had much exposure to WRC type cars. Actually the closest thing I'd say was the Audi GT which was here about 20 years ago. I really liked those cars, enough to buy an Audi myself (1993 90S).

My Mustang has had no fit & finish issues...no rattles, squeaks or any of the sort and I have 75k miles on it too. Expect an even better interior for the 2005 model coming out, which is supposed to get the same treatment as the new F150 which has received lots of praise for it's interior already. As far as being refined I didnt see any amenities on the EVO that impressed me anymore than what my mustang has already, matter of fact it seemed rather bland to me for 30k.

As far as being lucky to get a test drive proir to financing...I guess maybe. I may be young at 26, but I'm a financially comfortable professional and carry about myself in a certain way when looking at cars that's really convincing to dealers that I'm not goofing around. The Mitsu dealer had 4 2003 EVO's sitting there, with just a month to go before the 04's came out, so that probably helped my situation out even more. It was funny too because despite my demenor, the salesman approached me saying "Have you seen 2 Fast 2 Furious?" It was very hard to hold back my laughter because that's actually how they're trying to sell these cars--to young boy-racer kids who see this cool movie and just have to have their dad buy the car for them.

M

·
0 Posts
04's wont be out until mid year, as a matter of fact dealers are still getting 03's. as far as test drive, it has nothing to do with you, its simply that they wont just give away test drives. but the 30k, was put into good use were it was necessary. Recaro racing seats, the 4pot 14" Brembo Rotors from, 2 pot 12.2" rear, the entire frame, chassis, and suspension is stamped out of aircraft grade aluminum, all kinds of things like that, the HID lights that auto-level based on terrain changes,

oh ya and that oh so cool (but very unfunctional) intercooler sprayer :thumbsup:

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: Raben
mprtklr. . . . .too bad you're not close to here. I'd love to run you at the track :evil:

On the street on the other hand. . .ummm. . . not yet :rofl: You should easily pull on me up top since you are dishing out that power around what, 5300rpms? Think that's where it's crossing if I am reading it right. ...
My HP/TQ curve crossed around 5500 however torque started to drop and the HP continued to rise and then stayed even at 6200.

All dynos should have the torque and HP cross at 5252 since HP is a function of Torque and the number 5252.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Originally posted by: mprtklr

also you and me would not be a good comparo... me=high strung small displacement 4 cylinder on steroids .... you=big burly don't f**k with me with 8 cylinders :)
ROTFLMAO!! I like that hehehe.

That's impressive though man. 4 banger on steroids isn't the word. You are at least 440-450hp at the crank! Right now where I stand, yea it wouldn't be a good combo. . .you'll smoke me ;) hehe. I'm close NA but not quite yet to hitting 11s. But from what I've seen, I really don't have that much more work to do to hit that number. Unless I want to take the cheap route and go with Nitrous.

Just haven't decided. I think it would be cooler to run that NA though.

So how much longer before you break 10s?

M

·
0 Posts
the funniest thing about the 4G63 thats in the EVO....NA without the turbo, it puts a whopping 56hp to the wheels......how THAT for NA POWER!!!

however it is becuase the engine is built to run 30 psi of boost at 8:1 compression

without the turbo, id get smoked by a prius....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts