New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the overall appearence difference of the 99' and 00' cougars (interior and exterior). Also feature wise. Just wondering which one I should go with.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Appearance wise, the only difference between the 99-00 is a few minor interior changes that go unnoticed to the untrained eye:

1) Overhead gauge cluster where the map lights are on the 99 looses some feature for 00 (brake pad wear sensor is all I believe, could be wrong)
2) Lights for the vanity mirrors on the backs of the sunshades are gone in 00
3) Different wheel options, most notably "chrome" (actually polished aluminum) rims.

That's it. Exterior changes are none. Now, Mechanical changes are very few, but very important! mid-way through the 99 model year, Ford switched to a returnless fuel system. The actual date, according to Ford's parts department is 5/3/99. Supposedly, every Cougar made before that date should have a return style fuel system and every Cougar made after that date would have a returnless fuel system. However, there are some owners out there claiming that their car's production dates before falls after this date and that they have a return style system. Rule of thumb ... pop the hood and look for a second "return" fuel line leading to the firewall from the fuel rail. If the fuel rail has only one line coming/going to the fuel rail, you have a 1999.5+ Cougar.

I would take whatever is best equiped, but would favor the 99's with return fuel systems simply because they are much easier to modify with forced induction. That is just me though ... I like to modify cars ;)

Hopefully someone else will chime in here and make some corrections where I may be hisunderstood.

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
You got most of it, Trevor. Actually, the overhead console in 00 has 5 lights instead of 7. Missing are the brake wear sensor and the exterior bulb warning.

Also, my 00 has vanity lights on the drivers'side visor, but not the passengers.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
My 2000, built in 10/99 has lights on the driver's side vanity mirror but not the passenger side.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Honestly lookswise they are so similar, I'd think about is the fuel system change...from return to returnless, and the change in MTX internals if you choose to get an MTX.

Those 2 things will make a difference to you...

·
Registered
504 Posts
for some reason i think he meant to say the difference between 99 and 01

·
2,588 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
You got most of it, Trevor. Actually, the overhead console in 00 has 5 lights instead of 7. Missing are the brake wear sensor and the exterior bulb warning.

Also, my 00 has vanity lights on the drivers'side visor, but not the passengers.
ditto!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: slownfurious
for some reason i think he meant to say the difference between 99 and 01
Not what he asked, but here goes:

Interior: Completely redesigned interior. Same shaped interior dash, but new material textures and highlights; new gauge bezel/cluster, new seats, new center console ... damn near everything forward of the rear seats.

Exterior: New front and rear bumbers, new headlight design (no bubbles).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So basically you are saying I should just go with 2000. It's basically 1999 but a LITTLE better plus there will most likely have less milage too.

·
8,550 Posts
You forgot: the 2000 has a cup holder instead of a rattling drink spiller...

(The minute I saw that fold-out cup holder in my 1999 Cougar, I knew it was going to be trouble. I can't believe that NO ONE at Mercury thought so...but at least they fixed it for 2000.)

--RJ

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Originally posted by: SportinStyle
So basically you are saying I should just go with 2000. It's basically 1999 but a LITTLE better plus there will most likely have less milage too.
If you don't care about forced induction aka turbo or supercharger then go with a 2000. If you plan on doing either of these then you need the return fuel system in the 99. You can always spend $160 for the better console if you get a 99.

·
Rockin' Mom-mobile
8,010 Posts
are you saying those with returnless cannot have superchargers and turbos or is return just better?

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Originally posted by: skater
--RJ
Oh, rest assured, my 200 has a cup spiller - as do a great many of them. Only LATE 2000 models have molded, PROPER cup holders.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Keep in mind 2000 includes piston upgrades, MTX trans upgrades if you care about mechanical side of things. I wouldn't touch a 99 if you plan on a turbo or any big power adder.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Originally posted by: skater
--RJ
Oh, rest assured, my 200 has a cup spiller - as do a great many of them. Only LATE 2000 models have molded, PROPER cup holders.
A friend of mine has a late 99 with the new center console - it came that way from the factory... ?!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: 01blkcat
A friend of mine has a late 99 with the new center console - it came that way from the factory... ?!
This has been discussed hundreds of times ... your friend's Cougar does not have the sports package. Only the sports package has the cup spiller!

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Hmmm...I missed all those discussions...

How weird that the sports package would get the spiller.

This is why Trevor is THE MAN. :)

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Originally posted by: FastCougar
Only the sports package has the cup spiller!
I have to disagree on this one Trevor, Nuty1der's 99 I4 has a cup spiller and is non-sport package :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts