New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
lost of people say test pipe increases top end and lowers low end. I do agree with this as it currently is the problem on my car.
High flow cat I have no experience with yet.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
GMK has shown best overall gains with a catback and gutting the stock cat and pipe... Not sure how this worked out but the best avg. when avg.ed of loss of torgue and gain of HP etc. is with that setup.
Hope that helps Don.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
how would increased air flow result in a decrease on the lower end?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Pros of a gutten cat/cats- Better sounding exhaust, louder exhaust(could be good or bad), more power (1-4 HP), and you know you will never have the problem of getting your cat clogged or decreased performance of a bad cat. Getting a testpipe is much cheaper than replacing the cat, and oh yeah did i mention a much better sounding exhaust :biggrin:

Cons of gutted cat/cats-Your vechile is illegal, you will have a hard time finding a shop work on your exhaust if you have no cats, you have to buy mil eliminators for 50 bucks, You exhaust will be louder(could be good or bad) In some states where you have emission testing to register your vechile... you may fail,

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I have a start flowing exhaust if u will. MSDS headers to MSDS y-pipe to Turbendz SS test-pipe to Magnaflow cat-back dual exit. I put it all on at the sometime basically so i cant tell u the difference from the test-pipe or cat but i felt a great power gain from all that! LOL With the test-pipe it does my car my illegal but i don't have emissions testing only a visual and i can always put my cat back in to pass both. Did i lose some low-end with the test-pipe maybe idk!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have been told by the people at SHO Shop, as well as the guy at SP Motorsports that power wise, the difference between a test pipe and hi-flo cat was 1 or 2 horsepower. At first I was kind of skeptical but once I receive my hi-flo cat, I realized it was so high flow, that you could see through it from one side to the other. Theres so much less catalyst material than stock.

Sound wise is where you'll see the biggest difference on the two, with the hi-flo cat working to help muffle some raspiness. I have heard sound clips of test pipe equiped cars with the same setup as me (MSDS-Aftermarket Y-Pipe-Flowmaster Duals) and they are alot raspier than mine. Heres a little sound clip for you, just click the link and it should play right there on the page.
Exhaust Clip

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Heres my sound clip with my stuff (look up two posts for it)

Exhaust Clip

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i asked the question so here is why i asked it.

first off back in may at the strip i was running 15.8 with headers, stock cat, flowmaster single and intake.
now i have a few more goodies on. the test pipe, spark plug wires, and cold air extension.

my mph have increased but elapsed time down the track is slower:confused:
i thought lack of back pressure ='s loss of torque. i may be wrong!:shrug:

so i have noticed that i am getting to higher speeds in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. so i am going to get car dyno'd to see where the sweet spot is. i might be staying in 1st to long...6500rpm or so.

maybe i may figure this out after all. if not anyone want a test pipe with o2 sensor bung welded in and only 2k miles on it?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,977 Posts
What are your 60-foot and 1/8th mile times? I have found personally that most of my ET depends on the first half of the run. My personal best time was the ONLY time my 1/8 got under 10 seconds, and unless your 60-foot is 2.3 or lower, you're losing tons of time off the launch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.